The Perfect Tech flashlight

Wouldn't Red be a better color then blue for a selectable light mode?

Actually I think that Blue is a better color backstage. It is less noticeable than red to the indirect observer. Every run light we setup back stage we either cover with blue gel or use blue lamps.

Actually I think that Blue is a better color backstage. It is less noticeable than red to the indirect observer. Every run light we setup back stage we either cover with blue gel or use blue lamps.

Agreed. We have 3 types of lighting on stage (besides stage lighting). Work lights, white lights, and run lights. Work lights are mercury lights above the fly loft for lighting during construction. White lights are CFLs on the backstage wings. Run lights are CFLs in a blue glass... container?

I agree that Blue would be a better color for backstage. All of our run lights have blue gel on them or use blue-dipped bulbs (and I can say BULBS because they're standard household lightbulbs and aren't going in theatrical fixtures).

An LED light that was blue/white selectable would be great. No, make that better. The Ideal Tech Flashlight: would be made by Streamlight. Rechargeable battery. Would have 3 blue and 3 white hi-intensity LED's arranged in a ring, set in to the upper edge of the reflector (like the current twin-task series), alternating. Would have one focusable xenon flashlight bulb in the middle, down in the reflector (also of current TwinTask design). Modes(in this order): off, blue LED, white LED, Xenon, Xenon + white LED's (mini audience blinder/crowd surfer security mode). This is so that the first time you hit the button, it automatically goes to blue, so that you don't have to cycle through two white modes while backstage during a show. And, if you leave it in one mode for more than 5 seconds, it would automatically go to the "off" mode the next time you hit the switch instead of going to the next mode. It would come with a red pop-in lens for those who prefer red, and for us techies who are amateur astronomers on the side. Hey, maybe I need to send this idea to Streamlight. Because I'd buy one immediately.

EDIT: the ITF (Ideal Tech Flashlight) would be in the form factor of a 3-aa mag, so those of us who already have belt pouches that hold a leatherman/phone and a minimag can still put the flashlight there.

Last edited:
The Ideal Tech Flashlight: would be made by Streamlight. Rechargeable battery. Would have 3 blue and 3 white hi-intensity LED's arranged in a ring, set in to the upper edge of the reflector (like the current twin-task series), alternating. Would have one focusable xenon flashlight bulb in the middle, down in the reflector (also of current TwinTask design). Modes(in this order): off, blue LED, white LED, Xenon, Xenon + white LED's (mini audience blinder/crowd surfer security mode). This is so that the first time you hit the button, it automatically goes to blue, so that you don't have to cycle through two white modes while backstage during a show. And, if you leave it in one mode for more than 5 seconds, it would automatically go to the "off" mode the next time you hit the switch instead of going to the next mode. It would come with a red pop-in lens for those who prefer red, and for us techies who are amateur astronomers on the side. Hey, maybe I need to send this idea to Streamlight. Because I'd buy one immediately.
EDIT: the ITF (Ideal Tech Flashlight) would be in the form factor of a 3-aa mag, so those of us who already have belt pouches that hold a leatherman/phone and a minimag can still put the flashlight there.

Sure, You want fries with that?

Sure, You want fries with that?

No. Mozzarella sticks. And hold the sauce. And I want a prototype of the mozzarella sticks in two days. Thank you. And I want the flashlight to run on blended mozzarella sticks. Thanks, have fun with that.

Blue LEDs - you either love em or you hate em. I cannot stand them for power LEDs - you can seem them 25 metres away. Not good. However, in this case it might be a good thing. After all, more light from less LEDs has got to be a good thing for both space & battery life...

I currently have a surfire light that seems to be working pretty well, but it lacks a few inovations. Some things I like on it are the amount of battery hours I can get out of it on one battery (lithium) which is about 130 usable and 1 high. I can agree with the previously mentioned idea of a blue LED. It would be much better than adding the gel over the light when you are backstage. A tail cap that can either twist on or be pushed on is good. Also because you never know where you can be a shock proof/ water resistant feature is also nice. Something small else would be a whole for a lanyard so you can take it up with you in a rig or truss and have it tethered to you. Something about 5-6 inches long that has a clip so you can clip it in a pocket if you can't get to the holder. Oh, and the other important thing....affordable. If every tech should have one, than it should be something that every tech could get.
Sounds like a great project, wish I had something like that when I was in school.

p.s.- can it have a spork on the side for lunch break?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back