"The Sexy Side of Rigging"

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
Going through the LDI 2012 seminars and there it is Friday at 1:30.
"The Sexy Side of Rigging.
Industry veteran Jay Glerum leads you through the mystery of rigging hardware—its description, technical information, and secrets—to help you make the most of your rigging experience."

Wow. Somehow, when I think Jay Glerum the word Sexy has never crossed my mind.

In case you are wondering what he looks like...

BUBook.jpg
Jay Glerum

Last edited by a moderator:
Industry veteran Jay Glerum leads you through the mystery of rigging hardware—its description, technical information, and secrets—to help you make the most of your rigging experience."

Good grief i can't believe i have to say this but...
Any rigger who doesn't know his hardware SHOULD NOT BE RIGGING!

If that's the case, I hope the "sexy" Jay Glerum is very careful in what he shows people.

After all "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

considering he's been doing this for a large chunk of his life and he's one of the foremost experts I don't think he'd be careless enough to convince people they know what they are doing without any real training.

so they take classes before they put their hands on the hardware... where's the problem?

Going through the LDI 2012 seminars and there it is Friday at 1:30.
"The Sexy Side of Rigging.

Wow. Somehow, when I think Jay Glerum the word Sexy has never crossed my mind.

yeah, quite the eye catching title! :)

LDI is for everyone and has classes for beginners to experts. Jay Glerum has been traveling the world teaching rigging workshops for decades and has probably taught more beginning riggers than anyone else on the planet. He is also one of the top rigging inspectors in the country, he shuts down his classes for a month every year so he can go to Vegas and inspect all the rigging systems. This is the guy who literary wrote THE book on rigging. It'll be safe.

Hey Tassie, calm down. None of us came out of the womb knowing everything in the whole world about our respective craft. (Those who know me may point and laugh at me now.)

The Sexy Side of Rigging? Now that's a d#mn lie, and I won't hear of it. No sir.

LDI is for everyone and has classes for beginners to experts. Jay Glerum has been traveling the world teaching rigging workshops for decades and has probably taught more beginning riggers than anyone else on the planet. He is also one of the top rigging inspectors in the country, he shuts down his classes for a month every year so he can go to Vegas and inspect all the rigging systems. This is the guy who literary wrote THE book on rigging. It'll be safe.

how does that book compare to Entertainment Rigging?

Hey Tassie, calm down. None of us came out of the womb knowing everything in the whole world about our respective craft. (Those who know me may point and laugh at me now.)

Point Taken.

I guess if it were up to me I'd do it the other way around - go get the ticket that says i can do this work without killing anyone, THEN learn the nifty tricks of the trade.

how does that book compare to Entertainment Rigging?

Entertainment Rigging was written by Glerum's long time co-teacher Harry Donovan (Rest in peace). You simply can't compare the two books because they are complimentary. The Rigging Handbook is the book to get you started with good practice as a rigger. Entertainment Rigging is the book to consult for all the math you need to get the job done.

I would characterize it as Glerum's Stage Rigging Handbook is more for Rigger-Theatre, and Donovan's Entertainment Rigging is geared to Rigger-Arena. Yes, there's lots of overlap, but also lots of differences.

FWIW, I've had more than one dual-certified ETCP technician tell me that the Arena exam is much more difficult than the Theatre exam.

-----

I wonder if the session will cover the erection of truss structures?

Last edited:
By the title, I would have thought that they were going to discuss the rigging at Zumanity.

I have taken a class from Jay three times. Anyone who can't cut the mustard is going to be scared to walk into a theater after his classes (not really). As he has been an expert witness on many litigations regarding rigging failure, he has just as many horror stories to share as to why you don't get a second chance to do it right the first time. He takes you through ways to recognize failures before they happen, so that you can replace the necessary equipment (maintenance is one of the biggest things he emphasizes).

I agree with Derek in the comparison of the two books, as well as the classes they taught.

Veeeeeery nice Zumanity reference. Something about Jay Glerum, steel, skin, lighting effects, and steam.....

Veeeeeery nice Zumanity reference. Something about Jay Glerum, steel, skin, lighting effects, and steam.....

Just when you thought it wasn't possible, this thread got a little bit creepier!

I think I threw up a little in my mouth.

But hey, whatever floats yer boat. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back