The tech desk is my office...

Thats where knowing the custodians comes into play. they do not arm the alarm in the section of the building that i am in, the night shift assumes i have permission to be there, and the night shift is never aroudn during the day. it works out great

Wow, not enough sleep.....i only do that on the weekend....hehe. :evil: :twisted:

Unlike some schools, most of our janitors are mean. We get kicked out at 10:30 and we have to fight to stay that late. It's all good though, b/c it keeps our director under control.

hehe all the janators dont give a sh**.

ya the community theaters are so cool you can stay as long as you want....even if it is a week stright

JP12687 said:
Thats where knowing the custodians comes into play. they do not arm the alarm in the section of the building that i am in, the night shift assumes i have permission to be there, and the night shift is never aroudn during the day. it works out great

The alarms have to be set or the security company automatically sends in the S.W.A.T. team or some cop to investigate. Or a guard. Generally the guard.

Foxinabox10 said:
Unlike some schools, most of our janitors are mean. We get kicked out at 10:30 and we have to fight to stay that late. It's all good though, b/c it keeps our director under control.

Oh at SCHOOL we are kicked out at 6:30 if we're lucky! Helps that we have next to no lights, doesn't help that I am the whole crew.

yea normally we can stay til 11 at school. But like i said the custodians will look the other way as long as i'm not loud and dont make a mess.

then when hell week comes along..god knows how late we will be there

Our theatre is apparently "haunted" so I leave.

If we stay past 10, the janitors will lock the bathrooms even if people have stuff in there, so that the actors can't change and no one can go to the bathroom. They've got some problems considering they're on duty until like midnight.

Not the Playhouse, it's just cursed. ;)

We can't find a janitor after 6 PM until they find us to tell us to leave.

Our janitors generally leave at around ten, but we often continue past then. I don't understand why everyone is talking like the janitors must be the last people out of the building. As long as a staff member is around to arm the alarm when we leave, everything is cool. Usually a few minutes before the end of rehearsal, an ASM is sent around with the Director's keys to lock all the doors...dressing rooms, musical suite, practice rooms, auditorium, offices, and exterior doors. And then we leave.

At midnight, the classes-changing bell rings. It's a glitch in the system, but it's very reassuring. I've heard it countless times.

As for sleeping over, I've never done it. The director sometimes does, when he has to do a lot of stuff. His office is full of sofas, so it's generally fairly doable.

The booth is a good place for naps, though. The thing about the booth is that we rarely use it. We have a mid-house console where we control lights and sound, and I think it's better for lots of reasons. It's closer to the stage, which makes for a shorter holler distance, and the technicians can better absorb and feed off of the audience's energy when they're in the booth, where it's sometimes tempting to almost forget that there's even an audience in the room.

The booth does have DMX hookups and headset jacks, so we can control lights from there or have the PSM up there if the mid-house desk is crammed with people (2 sound guys, a followspot caller, and a light board op and PSM, plus staff at times).

Being staff, I have an alarm code and a key. I have spent a few nights in the theatre working on stuff. Usually during tech week. Our university will be taking over the security part, so I don't know if they will make me leave at a certain time or not. Or if I will get to keep my key.

SJM

We dont have any janator problems at our school. The TD is good friends with the Asst princpil so we can stay as long as we want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back