The tech desk is my office...

There was this dance show that we did twice a year where as the LD I would sync the light cues up with the music. I'd push play on my minidisc player and go on my ETC express 48/96 and let it fly. 400+ light cues/independent chase steps for the opening number - Beautiful People by Marlyn Manson. It took me 8 hours to do the one song. I spent 42 hours nonstop in the booth to write the whole show. My interns would come by and feed me and get coffee.

Unfortunently in my school district the union states the janitor HAS to be the last person out of the building...fortunetnly they often disregard that because they like us :twisted:

our school doesn't have full time janitorial staff. we have a daytime maintnence guy, and a janitorial staff that works for days on the weekends and afternoons after school. Really, we can stay all the time we want. I dont have a pass card yet but the director does.

Depending on what janitor had the night shift, we could stay past midnight or we had to be out by 10. :(

well, at my church, the cut off time is 11 for everyone. That is except for me. all the janitors know me by not only my first name but my middle name. I live there too much. As long as there's someone who can arm the system and lock the front gates, i can work as long as i need. (which is all night)

LOL! Yeah this is were doing tech a boarding school comes into play. I spend more hours in the theatre than I do anywhere else. Any ideas on how to get a powerhungry over egoed tech intern to let the students do the productions? Last year we had freedom now we arent even allowed to look at the sound board... And he jacked my light design for our fall play which pissed the hell out of me and when I confronted him he told me I could be his assistant.... He is taking my love of theatre away... Any Ideas?

Consult the director. Especially if you worked with the same director in previous year(s), you'll be able to get them on your side pretty easily. Just stress that this is a school, and you're supposed to be running it as it is a student production. Although you should have the input of someone else, you should not be their errand runner and assisstant. You should be able to do Lighting or Sound and he should just help.

Yeah, well I had a show tonight with the guy and hes horrible. He doesnt trust me over clearcom to run light cues.... He had to sit next to me and tap me for each one... Though the dumbshit fell asleep and leaned on me and I took it as a cue... :p

Seriously...Don't take this from him. Just because you are younger than him doesn't mean that you don't know just as much, if not more about what you're doing on the equipment you know. You are also just as competent as him, and personally, when he fell asleep, I wouldn't have run any light cues and then when the director asks where the light cue was, you tell her/him what happened. That might be what it takes to get action, but it's worth it.

I reckon every Playhouse theatre in the world must have a ghost, ours is called Fred.

Used to get kicked out in High school at 7pm when the cleaners left, they were always nice to us, now i'm in college they gave me keys to the drama centre after the first year (btw: college here is grade 11 & 12) just so I'm ready for the lead up into the end of year season, endless dance companies Arrrrrrrhhhhhh! one month of all nighters...

I have been in our Auditorium untill about 1 AM. I lockup the auditorium myself, but the janator has to arm the security system (ya, the swat team thing happens at my school too). They are usualy around until about 12:30 or 1:00 AM, but with budget cuts meaning we dont have a daytime janator, the night guy doesnt mind staying a little late, getting a little overtime and getting more work done!

Our janitor isnt hard to reach. Considering that the booth is equipped with an internal phone system, and that the janitor has a cell, He's generally easy to get ahold of. But hopefully soon, i wont need him. Higher powers are giving me a better key!!!. Next the master key and the arming code. THEN the world. hahahahahaha

yea, i have never needed to stay that late, the latest ive stayed was i think 11:30. the janitors were still there and had to be till i left, they seem nice enough, especially since i help them. that night was a festival for an indian group that rented the theater and along with cleaning up my stuff i helped the outside sound guys with there stuff and the janitors move tables, since both janitors were women and one was really old they appreciated this help so they like me and would probably have let me stay later but i had no need to. ill see what happens during tech week in like 2 weeks, i think we have a couch in prop storage.....

Argh! Stop distracting me! I'm trying to program the show!

-Time: 12:52AM
-Opening Countdown: 32:48HRS

sort of speaking of distractions, i ripped apart the booth at school yesterday, you can finally see the majority of the floor! yay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back