Outboard Gear The Too-Many-Headsets Problem

Is the mic connected across the two tips and the ear across the two rings?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
Ron, one of those plugs looks like T-S and the other like T-R-S. Maybe phone on S-S, mic on T-T and the ring was control of some sort? Never saw such an animal on a WE setup.

Ron, one of those plugs looks like T-S and the other like T-R-S. Maybe phone on S-S, mic on T-T and the ring was control of some sort? Never saw such an animal on a WE setup.
Well, one's 1/4" and one's a Bantam, but offhand I don't know which PHY that implies. Ron was thinking of old-style bell headset interfaecs, which were 2 identical jacks, with, as he notes, one signal on both tips and one on both rings; there was a reason for that, but I don't remember it.

I'm pretty sure those were 1/4" though; I had a glasses-clip Plantronics that I built a box for, to plug it into a Hitachi camera's intercom jack about 25 years ago...

Well, one's 1/4" and one's a Bantam, but offhand I don't know which PHY that implies. Ron was thinking of old-style bell headset interfaecs, which were 2 identical jacks, with, as he notes, one signal on both tips and one on both rings; there was a reason for that, but I don't remember it.

I'm pretty sure those were 1/4" though; I had a glasses-clip Plantronics that I built a box for, to plug it into a Hitachi camera's intercom jack about 25 years ago...
It was so it would function flawlessly no matter which way users plugged it in.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
Here's my solution cobbled together from odd bits I had laying around... cheap electret mic on a gooseneck, plus an isolation transformer to add com audio (from a ComClone-based circuit) to the headphone out from the sound board--all tied together with a 3D printed case to hide the mess I made in quickly sticking it all together. The volume knob on this controls just com audio, while the regular knob on the sound board is still used for that level (as if the headphones were plugged in directly). Audio from the board is still stereo, unfiltered, and passes through even if the com part of things is unplugged.

It's not quite what Jay is looking for, but it's working well for our board ops. Most of the performances we've done this year have been somewhat hybrid, but the priority for sound is the recording or live stream so I wanted to make it possible for the ops to be able to keep their headphones on most of the time monitoring that feed while still getting guidance from me over coms.

SB Com Station.JPG

It is particularly apropos that you picked today to comment on this thread again, since I'm packing up a lot of my stuff to take it home for the from the theater for the Christmas break. Particularly this toy.

This works, unlike my previous foray into this particular jungle, and came with the associated power brickk for a hundred bucks.

Attachments

• 1639852491231748001123261883298.jpg
    1639852491231748001123261883298.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 113

Users who are viewing this thread

Back