The "Ultimate" Focus Tool

Well, if you go to Northern Tool you can get 6" C-wrenches for like $2. I put a carabiner and blue cord on mine and I still have it. I also always have it clipped to my belt and in a pocket so it doesn't walk away. Generally the only place I forget my wrench is at home, when it comes off the pants.

By the same token, I have found wonderful kits of tools at Home Depot for $20 or less that have 2 c-wrenches, needle-nose (large and small), lineman's (large and small), slip-joint, and channel-lock pliers, and a small and large pair of dikes. All with insulated handles. I think they were WorkForce brand or some such. They are pretty decent tools, especially for the money, and I still have them all.

I have found wonderful kits of tools at Home Depot for $20 or less that have 2 c-wrenches, needle-nose (large and small), lineman's (large and small), slip-joint, and channel-lock pliers, and a small and large pair of dikes. All with insulated handles. I think they were WorkForce brand or some such. They are pretty decent tools, especially for the money, and I still have them all.
All I found was Klein

All I found was Klein[/url]

And there is something wrong with the top of the line in electrical tools? My own tool box if full of them and Klien hot tools.

In the end, you get what you pay for. My Klien black insulated grip 8" C-Wrench is my Ultimatate focus tool. No, it's not a hot tool but will insulate hopefully sufficiently. Also it's more comfortable.

This is a primary focus tool I would not leave without.

When buying a C-Wrench, before you even leave the store with it, check out the play in it's adjustment, than how parallel the jaws are. Big details in a adjustable wrench by way of what will work well and be a pain in the rear. Often you do get what you pay for.

In the Klien tool bags, not bad tools overall but not what I would have as primary choices for a starter kit. Hate the almost cartoon like yellow handled wire strippers they have, the Klien Curve is ok second only to my old version of the insulated grip wire stripper, but the normal ones are both too short in handle length and just plain funkey looking. My primary choices in screw drivers especially the 4" one are also different while from them.

For a starter kit, a good 8" Craftsman C-Wrench, a Klien 10:1 screw driver and a Craftsman 3/8" drive Socket set initially. Than Klien Journeyman series J248-8 or #D2000-48 dikes, and a NE style #D213-9NE-CR linesmens pliers. This followed by a #603-4B 4" #2 Phillips, #600-4 1/4"x4" Keystone tip, square shaft screw driver, and a #601-4 flat head 3/16"x3" cabinet tip screw driver will server well as with a cabinet tip 1/4"x4" cabinet tip for use on lamp bases and inside say a L21-30 plug. Plus some Wiha rotating top micro screw drivers. That's the way to go after the 10:1 screw driver maxes out for usefulness amongst other tools. You than get into conduit pliers, #85191 conduit screwdriver with reamer, and the magnetic nut driver set. Conduit pliers #D333-8 are amazingly useful for stage work. One would not believe how useful they are for all sorts of things. This in addition to a good pair of Crescent #1037-8 Duck Billed, 5/16"x8" Tapered Nose Pliers w. Serrated Tip. And a #627-20 6:1 screw driver tapping tool.

As option on screw drivers, were it not that I already have most, I would no doubt do the "Grip it 5pc Ergonomic Triangle Handle Screw Driver Kit." Klien #85090 every time I look at them seem really like a good screw driver style. It's what I would go with over my insule grip versions had I already not owned multitudes of them.

Still as a concept on electrical tools, there is some such as the ideal #30-425, the above Crescent tool, various socket and in general wrenches from Craftsman, even the Cementex #Y3-CG insulated flat head screw driver, most companies make similar tools at some point and often of a similar design. Similar design doesn't mean the same tool. A Klien say 4" insulated grip #2 phillips screw driver will outlast the exact same design of it from Stanley by a factor of ten. Sure, it will wear out especially if you loan your tools out to others that don't know how to use them, but as a concept, you get what you pay for in tool steel that will last.

Start with the Klien or Craftsman C-Wrench (other brands are ok at times also) that's the ultimate focus tool to start with. After that, perhaps a speed wrench. This along with in general tools.

Well I had the chance to actually use the famous $90 "ultimate focus tool". It's ok. It is over priced but it does feel really good in your hand. The Pinsplitter worked... but I would rather have a real one. The continuity tester was a little difficult to use. In the end I still wouldn't buy one... it's just too much money. But I would consider the $40 one. Like I said, it does feel pretty good in your hands.

I had a tip published in PLSN a while back where I stated that 15mm and 3/4" ratcheting wrenches are great additions to a toolbox. For a standard c-clamp, the 3/4" gets the yoke bolt and the 15mm handles the larger square bolt. It's nice to have a wrench that is the right size without having to adjust. The ratcheting feature is incredibly helpful, its like having a low profile socket and ratchet. I think there are also ratcheting wrenches that combine the two onto one wrench, making it even slicker. Another tip is to put a keyring around the middle, so you can attach a lanyard.

If you buy the 5/8" ratchet that looks like a "star" (rather than just a hex) you can adjust the square bolt as well. (I know I've said this before...shaddup).

I never report to work without my 6" Crescent Brand, Wide Jaw (fits Cheeseboroughs) in my back pocket. I own about 6 of them. My feeling is anything larger than a six-inch allows the operator to apply too much torque (remember I'm hanging conventionals on aluminum trusses, usually without truss condoms), and an 8" is too heavy. In my tool bag I have a 5/8"-3/4" ratcheting box wrench (5/8 for square C-Clamp bolt and the 3/4 for yoke bolt) but that only comes out if I'm hanging lots of conventionals, and goes back away once the hang is done. I've used the $40 "almost-ultimate" focus tool, but it can't replace my C-wrench. I use my "Altman" wrench often on the tilt handles of a Source4-10° and 5° during focus, but again, it lives near the bottom of my bag unless I'm focusing those fixtures.

Other tools I won't go to work without are Black Sharpie, white E-tape, mini-mag, and Gerber multi-tool.

I actually use a Ultimate Focus Tool and I love it. I was skeptical at first, but I got to get my hands on one at USITT and loved it. I bought one right there at the conference.
Its very light and very strong. The six months I have been using it, it has very little signs of ware on it. And my speed when hanging and focusing has doubled sense I started using it.

I also carry a 6" c-wrench with we at all times as well. This is the one. It has longer and narrower jaws then a standard wrench. Perfect for rotolocks and other hardware.

As for a tether, I like the Setware tether that they sell. I use 2 that are leading to a single carabiner.

Thats my two cents.

Attachments

• 00944714000.jpg
    00944714000.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 203
I also carry a 6" c-wrench with we at all times as well. This is the one. It has longer and narrower jaws then a standard wrench. Perfect for rotolocks and other hardware.
I'm guessing you mean rotAlocks; as RotoLocks, aka coffin/casket locks, require a 5/16" Hex key.

In my opinion, neither of the Focus Tools is worth the investment. Having done this awhile, forty years or so, nothing is as versatile as an adjustable wrench.

8" Klein C-wrench on 18" (coiled) of phone cord with a snap link on the free end. Given to my be the ME on my first paid professional job in May of 1984. All you really need....

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the new slide wrenches here. they are pretty heavy, and they are 8" but I really love mine.

The technician sitting next to me says it's too smart for her, and she prefers the 6" with wide jaws.

just my thoughts

The slide wrenches just seem like they will fail when you need them most. I've used and handled them, but something just feels, idk, weak.

I've used this 'ultimate focus tool'. Yea, it's nice. But look, its a convenience tool with things I don't always need, and a price I'm not willing to pay. I am a firm believer in the 6" c-wrench, Crescent brand being my personal preference.

Now, that's not to say I haven't dabbled in other areas. I have a mega combo wrench (the little one from Light Source) tucked in my backpack for "emergencies", and have a roadie tools clamp stick wrench for dealing with wing nuts. But both of these items stay in the bag and only come out when specifically needed. Might get the Altman Jesus Wrench some time just to have one, it is a classic after all.

The only wrench I would consider aside from a c-wrench is a light speed wrench, but again, you are limited, and only really useful if you are doing conventionals all day.

If you want to carry one tool to do all the jobs you can come across on a day of theatrical work, its a c-wrench. ESPECIALLY if you work with an older inventory, or even something that isn't all source 4, you need the flexibility.

What nobody has mentioned are those wrenches that like adjust to the size of the bolt you're grabbing, as you squeeze.. actually, they're more like pliers, kind of, but as you squeeze, it adjusts perfectly.

Ok, I found them, Craftsman RoboGrip.. not sure on the price, but they work pretty well for most things. I cannot say, though, that I've had the chance to use them in a lighting environment, but I imagine they'd work great.

Um, NO! Come near one of my lights with anything other than an adjustable wrench or special purpose tool and I'll break your fingers! While a fine plier, the RoboGrip and similar ChannelLocks can easily destroy the head of the bolt you're trying to tighten.

The slide wrenches just seem like they will fail when you need them most. I've used and handled them, but something just feels, idk, weak.

I've used mine pretty much nonstop since...well a year ago...I've not only dropped it on the floor a couple times or tossed it toward my toolbag and missed several times, but I've also taken it apart...3 or 4 times when I would get bored.

You'd think that if you pushed on the inside of one to widen the jaws, it would just slide right? surprisingly wrong.

The number one use is if you're tightening the bolt side of the tilt and have to adjust down quickly or up quickly, you don't even need to move your hand, unlike with a normal wrench where you have to shift your hand forward to the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back