The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

The weirdest thing you've ever found...

Discussion in 'Stage Management and Facility Operations' started by WestlakeTech, Dec 7, 2008.

1. WestlakeTech

WestlakeTech Active Member

Usually after performances we walk through the seats and clean up the trash. Sometimes we find some pretty weird things. I think my most interesting find was in our Black Box a couple of years ago; found a tube of Fixodent denture adhesive.

What are some interesting/funny things you've found in your theatre?

2. gafftaper

gafftaper Senior Team Senior Team Fight Leukemia

Theater Manager & T.D.
    Back when I taught high school, the PTA was holding a talent show in the main theater. I wasn't there for the event as it wasn't "My space" to supervise in those days. So the next morning getting ready for class I found a dozen empty bottles for a variety of alcoholic drinks sitting around back stage. This was the last straw in a string of problems with the PTA talent show and it was canceled after that.

3. slimrocktwo

slimrocktwo Member

After a Talent Show we held about a month ago, my supervisor had found an unwrapped condom while cleaning up the house.:rolleyes: He had also found a bottle of hair gel that only had japanese writing on it. They were found in different locations, so i doubt they were connected in any way.. :lol:

4. venuetech

venuetech Well-Known Member

aud man out
    Back in the early 70's when i was just a freshman high school student getting started, a rock group used the auditorium. they had used one dressing room to clean the stems and seeds from at least a pound of pot, leaving lots of remnants. after they left i walked in to the dressing room to check it..... turned around, shut the door and left

given the time period i would think that pound was likely part of the bands payment for the gig... redefineing greenroom.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  5. Eboy87

Eboy87 Well-Known Member

I was board op for Grease a few years ago at a particular venue. I know there's a member on here that is there now. I found one of those driveway reflectors on the window ledge outside the light booth. The booth is two stories off the ground. I have yet to figure out how/why it's there.

rwhealey, is it still there?

Edit: I may take that back. I found a footprint on the ceiling in the tech booth of one of our black boxes today. Not sure about that one...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  6. lieperjp

lieperjp Well-Known Member

Teacher
    I think the oddest thing I ever found was a pair of socks... They weren't there before the house opened and I checked the house about 30 min after curtain call, so someone left a pair of socks (dirty, by the way) in the house... I have no idea.

At least it made the clean up semi-interesting... usually it's just a lot of programs and candy wrappers. (And we don't sell candy...)

7. rwhealey

rwhealey Active Member

Consultant
    Yep- it's still there. There are a few around the theater - on the pinrail and the grid. We also have a plethora of rubber chickens and plungers in odd places.

8. gafftapegreenia

gafftapegreenia CBMod CB Mods

Screw gun for hire
    There are several bra's and panties hanging from our grid. I have no idea why, and they are rather dusty.

9. TheDonkey

TheDonkey Active Member

Some n00bs visiting their actor friends on stage not realizing that techies go up there almost daily?

10. avkid

avkid Not a New User Fight Leukemia

Stageline Operator/Staging Supervisor
    A sleeping 8 year old.

11. erosing

erosing The Royal Renaissance Man

Uhh...seriously? I don't suppose there's an interesting story to be heard is there?

12. ETCspot

ETCspot Member

I manage a 1,200 seat PAC on a community college campus. A few years back we were opening up the venue for a show (it had been closed for a week due to holidays) and I found a student from Kuwait that had turned the balcony mezzanine hall into his bedroom. He had a blow-up mattress, end table, lamps, clothes, Everything! I politely informed him that this was a State-owned facility and he would be unable to inhabit the theatre. Luckily we found out that he had lost the key to his dorm room and was afraid to ask for another. It was all straightened out and our short-term resident relocated to his room. What a weird day that was.

13. avkid

It's a summer camp so there's not really that much of a story.
    It seems his counselors just didn't notice he was missing for 2 hours.

14. 1kfresnel

1kfresnel Member

Our booth is undergoing some minor renovations (new ceiling, acoustic tiles, paint, etc). Today we tore down and flew out the steel behemoth that used to be the original lighting console (twice replaced). We found two items hidden inside...a Dr. Pepper can and a noose.

15. lieperjp

Teacher
    Ok, new thing. I was in the ceiling of the auditorium tonight checking an audio cable for a new mic we hung. I took a detour around the catwalk and found two interesting things. One, an odd assortment of buckets under a formerly leaking ceiling and also a large open area between the walls of the outside hallway and the auditorium - the former decorated wall that was the chapel/gymnasium of our school. It was quite a shock to see peach brushed walls and a large, ornately painted cross complete with Latin and Greek captions around it surrounded by dust, rough plaster walls, and cinder block walls.

16. avkid

If there's water in those buckets I suggest you have someone pour it out before some nasty mold develops.

17. lieperjp

Teacher
    No, no water in the buckets... The roof was replaced 18 years ago, the buckets and trays are from about 20 years ago.

18. erosing

erosing The Royal Renaissance Man

Ahh, ok, my original thought was the child had been left after an evening performance and nobody realized it until the next day, something along those lines.

19. avkid

It's very possible that he would have remained there until breakfast if we did not look up before leaving.

That would have made for some excitement.
    :lol:

20. VeeDubTDI

VeeDubTDI Member

Can you get some pictures?