The weirdest thing you've ever found...

ok, think I may have had the weirdest find at Westlake. Was under the seating risers in the Black Box yesterday.... found a pair of Blue Jeans... I win ;)

haha. Well these seemed to be in fairly good condition. Everything else down there is covered in dust. These looked normal.

We've got a dead moth on the booth windowsill in front of our light board. His name is Fred. We love him and keep him there. So I was frustrated to find him underneath the table one day, moved from his perch. I put him back, promptly... the nerve of some people...

Not weird, but really cool.
Found the original lighting to the 1928 theatre, back when all the sockets were screw-base. Not in the house, but under it. They re-raked the house, creating a dead space... and storage.
Found a ladder of death- 40' feet straight up, no cage, old iron bars.
Found a pit of death- 70' down, attic to sub-sub-basement, no guards, no tie-offs, just enough time to say goodbye (my guess was the pit was part of the now abandoned structural air handling system).
Two 6' diameter CAST IRON fans... hanging 50' above the house floor (above the ceiling, next to the previous pit of death).
Hemp-reinforced plaster chunks from remodeling.
Two-phase power equipment (brownies for those who know what this is).
Gold-pressed paint.
A sink. Behind a wall. Still connected. Attached to another wall.
Arc rheostats for the disused arc lighting system.
Enough dangerous electrical equipment to cause any electrician's head to explode.

Found the original lighting to the 1928 theatre, back when all the sockets were screw-base. Not in the house, but under it. They re-raked the house, creating a dead space... and storage.
Found a pit of death- 70' down, attic to sub-sub-basement, no guards, no tie-offs, just enough time to say goodbye (my guess was the pit was part of the now abandoned structural air handling system).
Two 6' diameter CAST IRON fans... hanging 50' above the house floor (above the ceiling, next to the previous pit of death).
Gold-pressed paint.
Enough dangerous electrical equipment to cause any electrician's head to explode.

Ah, the joys of old theatres.:twisted:

Gold-pressed paint.

You sir, should be bringing us pictures, please.

please pics that is sweet!!! I worked at a theater a while back, and if you climbed over the catwalk, and walked the beams to behind the booth there was a fully built out room except for any doors. Its like they built the room but the sheet rock guys just covered it up. It had 3 painted walls, and a tile floor with recepticals, lights and light switch that work. talk about a screw up, i'm sure someone was going what ever happened to that extra room we were supposed to have. It was at a school that was built about 20 years ago.

Visiting the Oscar Meyer Theater in Madison (an opera house) I opened a floor pocket expecting to find a lighting circuit. there was a large cast iron ring secured into the concrete sub floor. I was told it was an elephant ring so you could secure your pachyderm during the performance.

Visiting the Oscar Meyer Theater in Madison (an opera house) I opened a floor pocket expecting to find a lighting circuit. there was a large cast iron ring secured into the concrete sub floor. I was told it was an elephant ring so you could secure your pachyderm during the performance.
There are two of those rings on a wall backstage at the James A Law auditorium in Schurman Hall at the Cornell University Vet School.

We've been told that the lecture hall used to be used for live veterinary "demonstrations".

While it's not that unusual for my venue, we have, on more than one occasion found a live california diamondback rattlesnake in the house. Once the snake was found five minutes after we opened the house. Another time the snake slithered out into the audience during a performance. More often, we find them in the vacinity of the shop building.

Other wildlife found in Pageantland:

Deer
Coyotes
A Bobcat
Squirrels
Skunks (One went into the orchestra pit during a performance. Another went into the make-up department.)
Raccoons
Opossums
Various Non-Venomous Snakes

This thread is worthless without pics! ;)

Ah, pictures. I talked to my super and we are planning to meet Wednesday. If I get a few good shots, I'll start a new thread with them.

Last edited:
My high school's theatre was built in 2001, so there isn't any really old stuff, but i've found a couple of interesting things.

-A tooth (a 6th grader had lost it during the show.)

-A big, gold letter "I" that had fallen off an ancient mixed chorus award hanging outside the auditorium (how it got into the audience, I have no idea.)

We have problems with people climbing an adjacent building's fire escape and walking over to our roof. There are also apartments with windows that open right next to our roof.
We've found plenty of graffiti, lawn chairs, grills, and beer cans. The real problem is that they like to throw beer cans off the roof, to the ground, and on top of the marquee. We have also found golf balls up there, so they were hitting golf balls off our roof into the Ped Mall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back