The Who's Tommy

DHSLXOP

Hi Everyone,

Our theater company is currently thinking about doing the show "The Who's Tommy." I was wondering if anyone had ever done the show (and share how you lit it), or if anyone had any suggestions on how to light the show. (I've seen some pictures online, and to me they look like a lot of moving lights in this show...does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this show without them, or have a low cost aternative) Thanks everyone for their help.

OK, I am going to rant a bit here. What is the concept of YOUR show? How does your director see the show? What is the color pallet of the other design elements? I can not stand it when people go "how should I light this" when in reality you should be asking yourself, "how do I envision this". In order for a production to actually look like something all design elements have to mesh along with the acting style and direction of the production. Is your director trying to recreate the movie or do something completely different?

Sorry if I am coming off a bit harsh, but this is really beginning to annoy me.

OK, I am going to rant a bit here. What is the concept of YOUR show? How does your director see the show? What is the color pallet of the other design elements? I can not stand it when people go "how should I light this" when in reality you should be asking yourself, "how do I envision this". In order for a production to actually look like something all design elements have to mesh along with the acting style and direction of the production. Is your director trying to recreate the movie or do something completely different?
Sorry if I am coming off a bit harsh, but this is really beginning to annoy me.

Like I said, I just want to know what other people have done, to be able to know if it can be done without all of the moving and other intelligent lights. (and if so, how it can be done) If not, then I know that i cannot pursue this show any further, and there is no point to even design anything. (The way we decide shows is to 1) read through the rights companys; 2) find a show and research it on the internet 3) look at pictures and videos; 4) if it seems doable, peruse the script to be able to read through it...I know this may seem different but it has proved effective for us)

I think footer has I.T.S. too.

:twisted:

There's no such thing as a show you can't light.

I think footer has I.T.S. too.
:twisted:

Actually its more of a just got done with a show that annoyed the crap out of me and scrambling to get a rep plot hung for a dance company that refuses to tell me anything about want (so they are getting what I give them, though I did throw up some scrollers so its not all that bad).

But... on the OP thing... What are you wanting to do with the show? Do you want it to look like a rock concert? What kind of inventory do you have? You can do alot with lekos/gobos/haze/shutter cuts and a crap load of saturated colors.

im going to agree with footer. it is my BIGGEST pet peave when people ask what you did for this show blah blah....like i can understand effecs, but the whol show cmon. someone spent depending on the show months of hardwork desigining the show and you want to just steal it from them. im really protective of my work, and believe that copying someone elses work is not fair to them and if you do steal other peoples work you shouldnt be in this buisness.

alright that was my rant
for somereason this topic seems pointless. any show can be done. you have to DESIGN...woah..the show to what you have. given with this show it is helpful to have robotics, but you can do a ton of things with standard instraments.

sorry if this was too harsh, thats just how i feel about it

I am sure this will start an argument, but I think the over reaction and the idea that people are stealing your design is a bit extreme

Most people I think would admit that the real design and look comes from the focus and how you impliment the lighting plot. Telling some one you used 25 mac700's 100 S4 zooms etc etc is NOT going to give some one your design.

It would be like asking Jackson Pollack about one of his paintings, and him telling you the colors he used, the layers and the various dripping/brushing etc and believing that based on that you could steal his design.

I also have strong feelings on this topic, I think that the questions you are getting are more about the design and equipment specs and approach and not the design.

In addition a lot of the folks on this forum are learning, and imitation, and guidance on a starting point are very valuable as a learning experience.

I guess put another way you can send two people out with s cheap digital camera, give them the same scene to capture and even go over an approach to the task and even then you will get amazing differences in the final product.

I think the idea that sharing the concept approach equipment and even plot is still a long way from stealing a design.

Anyway everyone has their own approach and feelings on this topic, which is want makes the world go round ;-)

Sharyn

Well fine, since no one quoted my post and expanded (god, guys...) I guess I'll have to expand myself. You had asked if it was even doable without intels; I say again, there's no such thing as a show you can't light. There's fixes and jerry-rigs and pretendings for every look you could possibly need. I think maybe why people are getting so defensive is because you (DHSLXOP) are approaching it like "if I can't get help on this show, I won't do it." That shouldn't be the mindset you should have. Granted, if you wanted to do like, the Phantom of the Opera without the chandelier you might have a problem, but for most shows it's all about what you bring to it. I've seen "Emerald City" done in the Kennedy Center with vari-lites, and I've seen it done in my theater with 3 green-gelled lekos. I wasn't sitting at the latter going "Man this was almost great, but it didn't have vari-lites," I was sitting at the latter going "This is Emerald City, our version. It's pretty cool."

Last edited:
rebuddle

i spent 40 hours designing a plot...so are you saying thats not mine.

i feel way too strongly on this issue because it has happeded to me. same show. same exact lighting. given it was a little different...but overall it was my design someone else was getting credit for...not cool

rebuddle

i spent 40 hours designing a plot...so are you saying thats not mine.

i feel way too strongly on this issue because it has happeded to me. same show. same exact lighting. given it was a little different...but overall it was my design someone else was getting credit for...not cool

Not unless someone stole your paperwork copied it etc. etc. a lot of show look alike because alot of poepl take the same approach.

p.s. it's "rebuttal" "Rebuddle" sound like meeting a guy from college you used to pal aound with. :mrgreen:

I agree with the earlier posts in that I hate the idea that seems prevelant among "you youngsters" nowadays <grumpy old guy comming out> " Can it be done without moving lights?" Are you f-ing kidding me ? I realise that some of you are young but but my god people, moving lights are a little over twenty years old! I used to do moving effects on cycs with a two scene preset board ! Wass it a hard focused gobo scrolling across the cyc rotating as it goes? No. Was it effective? You bet your ass. Read your history. I'm happy as a clam to give advice on how to do an effect. someone says, " hey I want to build a revolve, I'm gonna do this...." My thought is , " I could be an ass and not tell him thats a bad Idea or I could go ahead and tell him my experiences." I don't have an issue helping guide but I'm not going to simply hand over the finished Idea. Heck, I'd post a lightplot with a magic sheet if I felt you had no clue where to start but, if you know what questions to ask it's means you're capable of answering those questions with a little guidance. Ok now that that rant is over.......

I'd look at some old movies of rock concerts, pre 1980 check out and old Who concert. Watch one of the old Led Zepplin concerts. Did they have moving lights ? no, They had a butt load of PARS, BPs, and strips along with ACLs and TLs, and they made some real cool effects, Like I said in the above rant, it's a different look but just as impressive. This is a great learning experience you have here, You get to find out just how cool it is to have MLs and Computerized Light Boards. Good luck, and know we're here to help guide.

I can't tell you about how I did this show because I never have, but I can give you some pointers on how to get started, which we seem to have digressed from in this thread.

First, get yourself a copy of the script and a cast recording of the show. Read it and listen to it if you haven't already. Think about what kind of feelings the music, lyrics, and text evoke. Ask yourself questions like: What is the theme of the play, what is the message? When and where does it take place? What is the climax?

Next talk to the rest of the artistic team, director, set designer, sound designer, costume designer, music director. Find out where they see the show going, the themes and messages they want the show to convey.

Then go to your local library and look for books of photos and art. Find images that you feel represent the themes you want to convey in the show. Find images that show the quality of light that you want to have (color, angle, intensity, etc.)

ONce you see what the set is going to be, you have to try to interpret the ideas that you want into practical applications. Say you picked an image with low side lighting, ask yourself: How do I make this look appear on stage? What fixtures do I have and where can I put them to make it happen? The other thing that you have to think about is making sure that the audience can see the actors.

Then deal with special effects you want to create or specials you need. Do you need a special to light the pinball machine? Does the pinball machine need to have crazy flashing lights? Do you want to create a rock concert feel?

Once you formulate ideas like this, you will be able to ask us more specific questions like "How do I do X to create this look?"

Thanks for getting this thread back on track icewolf08. I appreciate it. I'm in the middle of tech, at a high school, with a student LD. Yes, tech is taking longer than anyone would like, but it is a learning process for someone that I see has real potential.
Educational theatre is just that. We didn't all get to where we now are without asking questions, reading, observing, "stealing" ideas from others!

Dennis

I can't tell you about how I did this show because I never have, but I can give you some pointers on how to get started, which we seem to have digressed from in this thread.
First, get yourself a copy of the script and a cast recording of the show. Read it and listen to it if you haven't already. Think about what kind of feelings the music, lyrics, and text evoke. Ask yourself questions like: What is the theme of the play, what is the message? When and where does it take place? What is the climax?
Next talk to the rest of the artistic team, director, set designer, sound designer, costume designer, music director. Find out where they see the show going, the themes and messages they want the show to convey.
Then go to your local library and look for books of photos and art. Find images that you feel represent the themes you want to convey in the show. Find images that show the quality of light that you want to have (color, angle, intensity, etc.)
ONce you see what the set is going to be, you have to try to interpret the ideas that you want into practical applications. Say you picked an image with low side lighting, ask yourself: How do I make this look appear on stage? What fixtures do I have and where can I put them to make it happen? The other thing that you have to think about is making sure that the audience can see the actors.
Then deal with special effects you want to create or specials you need. Do you need a special to light the pinball machine? Does the pinball machine need to have crazy flashing lights? Do you want to create a rock concert feel?
Once you formulate ideas like this, you will be able to ask us more specific questions like "How do I do X to create this look?"

Thanks for this post. This is helpful to me. To everyone else, I'm not trying to copy your designs or steal what you have worked on for many hours. I just wanted to know if this specific show could be done without moving lights, and what type of supplement could be used for that same effect. Sorry if this is bothering everyone, but thats not what I wanted to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back