Theatre Educator From Texas

Gridrat

Hello Folks:
My name is Charlie Woods. I registered on the forum last week, but have just now had time to make my first post. I am a Theatre Educator working for The Katy Independent School District ( Katy Texas) as the Technical Director and Performing Arts Center Director at James E. Taylor H.S. I consider myself a jack of all trades. I have worked in theatre ( Technician and acting) agriculture, construction and other industrial areas which allow me to bring alot to the classroom and my students. Even as a teacher I am continuing to learn more about my craft, and discover ways to make my students better. One of the big reasons I joined the forum; to learn and share information.

Our facilities consist of a 900 seat Proscenium Theatre and a 250 seat Black Box Theatre. When I started at Taylor Almost 12 years ago I taught in a regular classromm and built sets outside in a parking lot. We have expanded, and now have our own scene shop area that includes Welding Equipment, EPS foam cutting machines as well as basic scene shop equipment. I am a firm believer in the "Hands On" approach to teaching and if the students are to learn what it takes to work in a real theatre environment then we need to supply them with as close to that as possible.

I enjoy Audio/Lighting most and volunteer in both of those areas at the Church I attend. I enjoy teaching, and the challenges it brings me every day.
I look forward to learning from the members here and hope that I will be able to share information with others as well. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
If the picture I downloaded can be viewed, I am the Bald guy in the black shirt.

Thanks

Attachments

• 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 6
Welcome Charlie! Glad to have you here. We have a lot of other educators here on CB, so you are in good company. I look forward to reading your posts. Enjoy!

~Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back