Theatre Rigging Inspection Poll

When was the last time your Theatre rigging was Inspected?

• Within the last year.

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • 1-2 years ago.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • 3-5 years ago.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • over 5 years ago.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • no idea......

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

egilson1

Senior Team
Senior Team
CB Mods
Premium Member
ETCP Certified Technicians
Wanted to do some research on how often people are currently having their theatre rigging inspected.

Regards,
Ethan

Hi Ethan -- You might want to clarify whether you mean an internal inspection (by company staff), versus hiring an outside company to perform an inspection and write an official report or provide a certification of some sort. I'd suspect the former occurs far more frequently than the latter, albeit with less documentation.

And was this intended to be a rigging inspection, or broader? But a good question. Wish we had a notion. I have t o say, based on walking into theaters frequently and asking questions, I'd say less than 10-15% have had a recent rigging inspection, and many fewer for more than rigging.

Reactions: Van
At this point, the school I was at has been over 5 years. It had been done before me, admins never wanted to pay for another inspection (despite my urging) and I know enough about rigging and what to be worried about that I felt somewhat comfortable. Don't think its been done since.

I'm pretty sure ours hasn't been properly inspected since it was installed, uh, 100ish years ago... though pipes and aircraft cable and such have been professionally replaced over time.

But we're fixing that this summer (with Ethan's help, no less). Hoping to convince those that control the money that we should do it at *least* every 5 years after that, if not every 2. I already know doing it yearly is never going to happen.

I have found it is sometimes easier to get annual inspections - like so many things (elevators, boilers, etc.). The problem with less frequent is that it is too easy to cut: "well we got along without it last year so lets defer it another year." The ESTA rigging standard could be your friend in that, as it requires annual inspections. Its more about politics and persuasion tan exact science and reason I think.

I have found it is sometimes easier to get annual inspections - like so many things (elevators, boilers, etc.). The problem with less frequent is that it is too easy to cut: "well we got along without it last year so lets defer it another year." The ESTA rigging standard could be your friend in that, as it requires annual inspections. Its more about politics and persuasion tan exact science and reason I think.

I don't think showing people the standard would do much for me. I'm more hopeful that having the results of the first inspection, along with a recommendation from a reputable professional to follow up annually, will convince folks.

My experience is different. I find presenting the requirements of an American National Standard and explaining the consequences of ignoring it usually are more effective than the comments of someone who stands to gain financially from following their recommendations. Using both is probably wise.

My experience is different. I find presenting the requirements of an American National Standard and explaining the consequences of ignoring it usually are more effective than the comments of someone who stands to gain financially from following their recommendations. Using both is probably wise.

So, the people that would be in charge of getting an inspection for my space invited me to a theater safety workshop last year. We all sat together and watched the horror videos, heard the safety risks, and were informed of the annual ESTA standard. Some things have gotten better since, but rigging still hasn’t been inspected in 14 years. I think they are building it in the budget for next school year.

Lets say for those that don’t though - knowing the risks and safety factors (which should be enough) is there an immediate “consequence” legally? I don’t see any ESTA officials coming in to place fines or enforce the standard at the 100’s of school buildings in my region where these systems are in far worse condition than mine. Where do we go from here?

The consequence is in the litigation if someone is injured, and showing negligence for not maintaining the premises in a safe condition. Bad enough and civil suits for monetary damages could, possibly, even result in criminal charges. Not likely currently in my view.

No, there are nearly no laws - other than for fire safety curtains - about stage rigging. General statutes and laws protecting employees, like OSHA, are applicable, but no actual laws. Whole rigging systems have been installed without a building permit, something that is required if you added just one permanent electrical device.

My principal issue with the ESTA standards is that they do not conform to the requirements for standards that are referenced by model building and fire codes, like the IBC and LSC. In my opinion, were they to be written in conformance with those codes' requirements - style not substance - would be not hard to have them referenced by those codes and then they would be enforced by local officials in most places in US.

We were inspected in the Fall, but it was several years before that due to politics. (leaving it at that)

I'm going to be pushing to tender out a service contract, repair and upkeep should come out cheaper than outright replacement of neglected components in the long run. Not to mention, I'll be able to sleep better at night.

Considering the cost, and the potential liability it is VERY cheap insurance.

Always have an outside CERTIFIED rigging inspector and make sure they have proper liability insurance 1-5 million dollars. Remember the actors that were killed / injured at Cirque because of a rigging issue. Rigging is a serious and complicated issue, dealing with a lot of math and physical inspections.

Always have an outside CERTIFIED rigging inspector and make sure they have proper liability insurance 1-5 million dollars. Remember the actors that were killed / injured at Cirque because of a rigging issue. Rigging is a serious and complicated issue, dealing with a lot of math and physical inspections.

Just some observations. I'm not sure what a "CERTIFIED rigging inspector" is or where you can find the requirements. There are certified riggers - of two flavors - arena and theatre - by ETCP. And there are folks with certificates dealing with rigging. I would agree that the person responsible should be an ETCP Certified Rigger of either category. Knowing what "proper liability insurance" is may be the most difficult part. The inspection standard does explicitly exclude performer flying.

1) @BillConnerFASTC , you are correct that ANSI just regulates the process of standard creation.
2) ANSI 1.47 does recommend criteria for the inspector.

5 Qualifications of the inspector
5.1 Work experience
5.1.1 The inspector should have a minimum of 5 years or 10,000 hours of experience including a combination of entertainment rigging systems design, engineering, inspection, installation, maintenance, service, repair, modification, and functional testing. Typically, experience only in system operation will not provide suitable experience to inspect entertainment rigging systems.
5.1.2 This experience should provide a working knowledge of how to identify deficiencies in mechanical, structural, and electrical systems, and components of entertainment rigging systems.
5.1.3 This experience should provide familiarity with prevailing regulations and standards related to entertainment rigging systems.
5.1.4 This experience should provide a working knowledge of how to identify deficiencies in the specific type of rigging system to be inspected (e.g. counterweight, package hoist, motorized hoist and drum, line shaft hoist).
5.1.5 This experience should include manufacturer's training, if available, in the specific rigging system to be inspected. If the manufacturer offers certification, the inspector should have received manufacturer certification for the specific system.
5.1.6 This experience should include third-party certification in the applicable discipline.

Reactions: Van

Users who are viewing this thread

Back