Theatre Safety Issues

A tricky subject here. On one hand you have what you believe needs to be done and people unwilling to spend the money to do it. How do you convince them that this is not optional.
There are a couple of options from my years as the Safety Nazi for my previous employers.
1) You can do nothing and hope for the best.
2) You can do nothing and hope that once someone is injured or dies the administration will do something.
3) You can scream and yell to the administration.
4) You can cry at the administration.
5) You can speak clearly to the administration.
6) You can call OSHA.
7) You can invite the Fire Marshall back.
8) You can call your local electrical inspector.
9) this goes on forever and ever...

lists of what to do get one nowhere!

You just have to do SOMETHING. CRY FOUL! Do everything! That is the only option. YOU MUST. If you feel in imminent danger then you are probably in IMMINENT DANGER.

If an accident happens (god forbid), no matter what your situation with the school, YOU can be held liable. I know I will probably catch some flack for that statement, but yes, YOU are protected by the insurance of the school, and yes, the school is protected by insurance, but if someone dies on the job or is seriously injured, YOU can still be held liable. Do not listen to the others who tell you that you will not be held responsible if something goes awry because you are covered by the school's insurance. Protect YOURSELF and don't let it get to that point.

If you are the TD then YOU are the responsible party for what happens in the space. You are responsible for crying foul. You are the one responsible for protecting the health and welfare of your workers and students. If something is wrong YOU have to get it fixed.

You have no choice if you want to stay at this job. YOU have to get the administration on your side. You have to convince them that things are broken and need to get fixed. Bring in ESTA inspectors they know the rules that pertain to theaters and such venues, after that if there is no action, bring in OSHA, and work your way down the line to your local dog catcher if necessary.

An administration's unwillingness to fix problems should not be your responsibility. Get independent, outside people on YOUR side. If you have facts from independent inspectors and you give those facts to the administration then the administration is OBLIGATED to fix those problems. They then become the MORE liable party. This does not get you off the hook, but at least they become more willing to DO SOMETHING if they start to become aware that this could be something that effects their bottom line. A lawsuit, workman's comp, or increased insurance costs will most assuredly motivate them to start taking a hard look at problems and what to do about them.

This is a fight that you have to win. You have to scare them into listening. The thought of a dead (or amputated) student terrifies administrations. Not because of the injury, but because of the lawsuit and insurance. A worker injured is simple and normal and covered by workman's comp, etc. etc., but a student or OUTSIDE worker is something else entirely.

If you are afraid to work, the administration should be more afraid. How much do you like this job? You have to be willing to do the right thing so you stay protected. You have to protect the students and workers. The termination of a program is a reality. The termination of a job is also a reality. If you are being set up to work in an unsafe environment, you do not have to accept those terms. You have to say NO and get things changed, or be willing to leave.

"I will not do that because it is unsafe" are some of the most beautiful words in the english language.

Cover your A** because that is EXACTLY what the school will do for themselves. They will look for the same thing the insurance company will look for, a fall guy.

I agree with much of that, except the begginning. "lists of what to do get one nowhere!".

Maybe I'm just a list-maker. I make lists for everything, from what needs to be done, to packing for a trip. And while list making in and of itself doesn't accomplish anything. To me, making a list is a way of thinking through something. It enables me to not just focus on one issue, and try to see the big picture. I.e. before I made a list of problems with this theatre, mainly I was just freaking out about the wiring and general lack of safety. There were other smaller issues that I thought of while making my list, that weren't quite as likely to get someone killed, but dangerous none the less. So while making my list didn't accomplish anything real. It enabled me to think reasonably about the problems at hand, and what the logical solutions would be to fix them. As well as recognizing other smaller and more easily solved problems. Thus allowing me to take action other than writing on a rant list (which is where this initially was b/c I was quite frustrated).
So while I appreciate your telling me to do something instead of just sitting and making lists, this is my process to doing something. Frustration doesn't help get things done. So, if I can sit and get my frustration out before I go speak with the University President about the issues at hand, and because of my having thought it out, have a concise list of everything wrong when he asks, I think that is better than just jumping the gun doing something. Because the wrong thing won't neccessarily help your cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back