Theatre Superstitions

Hello,
I know this talk is quite old, but I m new here, and french.
So I'm glad to have learn why you guys say "break a leg", even with the two explainations.
For the French side, we say "Merde" for all shows. It comes from the time in Paris when people were coming to the theater with a car pulled by horses. Then if you have a lot of **** in front of the theater, it means a lot of people into the theater... That why the actors wished **** to each other.
Emmanuelle

thats the first time i've ever heard that explanation and i love it! we were always told to say it and get out of your system so you don't say it onstage when you mess up.

OK, this was funny. Now we have to involve our audience?

theater_sign.jpg

OK, this was funny. Now we have to involve our audience?

View attachment 9271

They went to all the work to make the sign, they should have used elizabethan language. Or at least the word "whilst". It flows better with the rest of the sentence.

So.. I don't know if anyone has made these comments.
I like all of the superstitions and refrain from using/doing them in the theater even if I don't believe in them in case others do.

I have heard many reasons for all of these and read 66% of this thread so I apologize if these things have already been said but I just want to throw my own story / two cents into the pot.

Break a Leg: I heard that break a leg was started by dancers. At the end of the show, often people would throw flowers or money up on stage as dancers were doing their final bows and often their legs were held out straight in a pose. The idea was to "break" your leg (bend it) to pick up money / flowers showing that you've done a good job. The idea is wishing someone good luck by saying break a leg, as to get a favorable result from the audience.

Whistling: I would imagine that during a show, there would be less need for the whole whistling as the show was set up and the person running knew what was coming. However during a load in, when they probably hired more crew to hang everything and get it set up, they probably used whistles to help in the process of weighting, hanging, and otherwise rigging the drops. All of these people may only work on the in and the out.

Walking under a ladder: I gave up this notion when I first started professional theater. If I can avoid it, I will. More out of personal safety. I also ask others don't do it because they could send the person on top of the ladder over if they bump it just right or whatever. Safety.

Ghost Light: This is my favorite as it always leads everyone to make up a ghost which lives in their theaters (sometimes new theaters!). I like the ghost light particularly because I have often entered a theater in a door which isn't by the light switch and have had to make my way there in the dark.

Theater People are the best. :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

EDIT: After this post I realize that this is a very old thread. =( Oh well!
Love the sign that revived it.

Last edited:
I love the ghost light - I mean, yes I recognize that it's mostly just a safety thing, but I think it's a nice superstition to have as well. Leave a light on so the ghosts can roam while they're alone overnight. In fact I love it so much that I have a ghost light tattoo! :)

I never thought of walking under a ladder as something superstitious... I just figured it was a safety issue. I mean I don't see it as important at all when there's nobody on the ladder, but yeah... if there's someone on it, I'm not gonna cross under it. I don't want to risk bumping it or just startling the person who's on it.

Working in Deaf theatre, I work closely with ASL interpreters, and I've learned that the "good luck" term here is "break a finger."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back