TheatreSys - a plugin for POV-Ray

cshake

I've been working over the last month to produce a plugin package for Persistence of Vision Raytracer (POV-Ray), a free 3D renderer. I am pleased to announce that I have gotten it to what I feel is a decent state for public beta release, and am offering it here for anyone to test out. Version 1.0 is available from MediaFire (since it seems that 390kB is too big to attach here).

The intent is to make it easy to insert a basic lighting rig into any scene that you can create in the renderer, and being as accurate as possible in terms of photometric data. I am well aware that WYSIWYG does this, both faster and better, but this is free. No paid resources were used in the making of this, and all photometric data was taken from the manufacturers. It is built on a somewhat related plugin called Lightsys by Jaime Vives Piqueres. That package is required for this to work, but it's available at that link, along with a lot of information.

If anyone has played around with POV-Ray before, this will be simple for you to figure out, and for everyone else all I can say is that it's a code-based interface. No click and drag, just numbers in a file.

If anyone at all is interested in testing this out, be my guest and let me know what you think. If you find bugs, have comments/critiques, or other related things please just send me a message!

There is a readme in the zip file that has a lot more information, and should be enough to help you get started.

-------------------------------------
What it contains:
Instruments:
Commonly used ellipsoidals (360Q, Shakespeare, Coolbeam, and SourceFour, full product range for each)
PAR64s
PAR38 borderlights (the 4 made by Altman)
MR16 zip strips (1, 2, 3, and 4 circuit)

Accessories:
Gels (using accurate transmission spectra, all lamps are accurate blackbody emitters at the rated color temperature)
Color scrollers
Gobos (steel, glass, slides, any image you want, any number of colors)
Iris
Shutters

Basic templates for a start:
Posed wood figure
Proscenium theatre space
- includes predefined on-stage hanging locations
Positionable Full black, Cyc, Traveler, Masking+Legs, Scrim
Basic haze template

Known issues:
- The light beams are always in focus, so the shutters are always hard edged (unless you turn on Use_Soft_Shadows. That's just how the underlying program is written, nothing I can do about it. Sorry.
- Diffusion doesn't work. I am well aware of this, and have worked a lot on trying to fix it, but all current tests take incredibly long to render. Please don't suggest this as an improvement, it's due to how POV-Ray works!

-cshake

Users who are viewing this thread

Back