Theatrical Lighting History Research Book Assistance

Hello All.

My name is Scott Wasserberg and I often go by Scooter professionally, I am in the process of completing research for a history text that I am writing and that is slated for release at a future USITT conference. The brief description of the book is:

The book is comprised of 5 sections; history of the leko, history of the moving light, history of modern electronic load dimming, history of the modern memory console, and history of DMX-512. Each section is further broken down into chapters with each section consisting of the same 3 parts; the history of each sections topic up to the point of market entry, the presentation of the initial invention of each sections item, and the people(s) or company(s) that took the invention to a new level.

The book is not designed nor intended to be a how to but rather a "this is your life". There are a number texts and many articles talking about the people behind many of these inventions or articles that take us through the invention and briefly discuss the before. My intention is to bring everything together and present a true history text.

In my efforts to complete the research I am combing over existing interviews with key figures in the development of Consoles, Fixtures, and Dimming but am in need of conducting my own "follow-up" interviews and am turning to this forum for help in bridging the divide in other words making introductions.

Below is a short list of persons I wish to talk with. Reflecting on the book concept above, if you see your name or someone you know that had a role in R&D I am excited to talk with you or them. I am going to be attending USITT 2020, currently still taking place, and would enjoy 30 minutes of time with anyone on the list or otherwise.

Steve Terry
David Cunningham
Tom Littrell
Gordon Pearlman
Bill Florac
Ann Valentino (Mistakenly left off BUT not forgotten)

Thank you in advance and my deepest apologize if I have asked to speak with someone who may no longer be with us, it is difficult to confirm some details.

Last edited:
I would definitely add Joel Rubin to your list. He does not get to USITT any more, but I expect he would be happy to chat with you. He has an office in NYC

The book is comprised of 5 sections; history of the leko, history of the moving light, history of modern electronic load dimming, history of the modern memory console, and history of DMX-512.
That's quite an ambitious undertaking; one that would have to be multi-volume to address comprehensively. May I suggest reading
?
Consider specifically what ground your book will cover that the above (plus a few others) do not.

Something that may assist in your research: https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/memory-lighting-control-systems-history.9203/ .

Ann Valentino (Mistakenly left off BUT not forgotten)
BTW, it's Anne with an "e", and you can find her here at @avalentino . As well as some others on your list.

Last edited:
I can try to get you in touch with Gordon Pearlman if he's not to busy gallivanting across the universe. <Universe, get it? like DMX Universe? See I'm really funny. Want to interview me? >

PM me your email address and I'll send it to him.

That's quite an ambitious undertaking; one that would have to be multi-volume to address comprehensively. May I suggest reading
?
Consider specifically what ground your book will cover that the above (plus a few others) do not.

Something that may assist in your research: https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/memory-lighting-control-systems-history.9203/ .

BTW, it's Anne with an "e", and you can find her here at @avalentino . As well as some others on your list.

Your correct, the book is broad and could easily balloon into 5 volumes rather than bound together in one 200 pages work. I have a vested interest in seeing more documentation of our art's history and if this book begins that process leading to another and another eventually more of the history will be presented and in that I will have succeeded. As for the two books you mention, both are conversational interviews in style and in the case of Linda Essing's book it presents limited dates and photos BUT amazing insight into the time period and the people doing work. It is a wonderful first person accounting of the time period and I am using it as a starting point in the interviews that I am conducting. The type of book I am focusing on writing is much more the presentation of the history behind, the information and history of said items, and then the look at were that has taken our industry. This past weekend I had the pleasure of digging into the archives at Penn State and saw equipment and first person documents that are in no book and have never been written about outside of a sales catalog or as a conversation within CB. It is this history that I seek to present and hope that my work will be placed along side Robert Bell and Linda Essing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back