Theatrical to Video

TOG

That stupid musical project just got more complicated.
Now they want to light Easter morning services for video.

I'm going to have to put some filtering on my 6 x 16 EPS to turn them into nice, even, edgeless video lights.

What is recommended?

I know, video lighting questions at a Theatre forum. Some of you must have some dirty little secrets...a tainted past...no shame...

Sharpen the edge of your 6x16s to a razor sharp, blue edge. Then add Lux119 or Lux132 to soften beautifully. If you're planning on running them at less than 100%, add Lee202 to counteract the "amber drift" and keep the color temperature around 3200K. And lots of Fresnel/ParCan backlight for video, so the talent doesn't blend in with the background, which will go completely black if it's not very well lit.

I have 10 6x16's 25' away, 15' up from the platform on a common pipe running across the house (hung over congregation seating) that need to stay in place for the other production. The plan is to refocus without relocating instruments. I want to keep using Lux33 along with diffusion so the pastor can pace the entire platform and wave his arms around without getting into hot spots or holes as video tracks him.
Back lighting is already covered with multiple par cans. Services are to be streamed and broadcast so the lighting has to be correct. (As opposed to soft white fluorescents like they usually use...) Two hours after the last service I have to have everything reset for doors to open on the other production.
Anybody have any experience with tough white diffusion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back