These Speakers and This Amp?

an0throne

Hi, I was wondering if this amp will be able to power 2 of these speakers.

BEHRINGER - NU1000 - Amp

BEHRINGER - VP1520 - Speakers

The amp is x2 300W, and the speakers have 200W RMS

Thanks

Hi, I was wondering if this amp will be able to power 2 of these speakers.

BEHRINGER - NU1000 - Amp

BEHRINGER - VP1520 - Speakers

The amp is x2 300W, and the speakers have 200W RMS

Thanks
A common misconcpetion but the power rating of the speaker is not what the speakers need but rather what they can handle.

That speaker is apparently rated at 250W "RMS" (continuous)/500W program/1,000W peak and is a nominal 8 Ohm impedance. That amp is rated at 100W per channel "RMS" into 8 Ohms and 800W bridge mono into 4 Ohms, however I have no idea of the test signal, distortion limits, frequency response, etc. used to get those numbers.

Amyways, yes that amp should power two of those speakers, however if run as a two channel or stereo system the amp will run out of gas well before the speakers. It is a little bit better match if you run the two speakers in parallel off the amp in bridge mono mode, but I don't know if that works for your application.

Thanks I understand now, so to run a stereo system with two speakers I would need an amp with an RMS that matches the speaker? And then in stereo I will have to check if the stereo output on the AMP have the same RMS as the speakers.

Thanks again.

Thanks I understand now, so to run a stereo system with two speakers I would need an amp with an RMS that matches the speaker? And then in stereo I will have to check if the stereo output on the AMP have the same RMS as the speakers.

Thanks again.

Generally, you want to have an amp that has a greater wattage per channel (at your speaker's ohms rating) than your speaker's RMS by at least 2 times the speaker's rating. In your case, an optimal amp would be one that puts out 500 watts per channel at 8 ohms. This allows you to operate with plenty of headroom, and in stereo. Off the top of my head, the first amp that comes to mind is the QSC GX5:
QSC - GX Series Amplifiers
This is an example of an amp that will power your speakers adequately and in stereo. Until then, don't try and run your speakers in stereo on your amp - underpowering them, believe it or not, can be bad for them!

Generally, you want to have an amp that has a greater wattage per channel (at your speaker's ohms rating) than your speaker's RMS by at least 2 times the speaker's rating. In your case, an optimal amp would be one that puts out 500 watts per channel at 8 ohms. This allows you to operate with plenty of headroom, and in stereo. Off the top of my head, the first amp that comes to mind is the QSC GX5:
QSC - GX Series Amplifiers
This is an example of an amp that will power your speakers adequately and in stereo. Until then, don't try and run your speakers in stereo on your amp - underpowering them, believe it or not, can be bad for them!
The power rating of a speaker is simply how much power it can handle, not what it needs as that is application dependent and the right power for a speaker is the power it needs to be loud enough without exceeding the capability of the speaker. That means that in any particular application a speaker may require more or less power than that same speaker does in a different application. A speaker cannot be underpowered, however a system can be underpowered for an application, which in turn can lead to pushing the system too hard and that is what can lead to failures.

The recommendation of an amp rated at 1.5 to 2 times the continuous/long term/RMS power rating comes from the concept of a system that may have to serve a variety of undefined applications. It's basically providing a balance of potential output and reliability. If you don't have a specific application or goal in terms of system output then that is a good 'rule of thumb', but if you have a specific application or goal for the ouput then it is often better to design for those specific factors rather than to apply a generic 'rule of thumb'.

In this case, the speaker has a 94db (1W/1m) sensitivity and thus 100W should relate to an output of 114dB at 1m. If that is loud enough for the intended use then you don't need more power than that. If it is not enough output level then you could probably go up to around 500W per channel for what should be an output of around 121dB at 1m. You could go higher than that, up to 1,000W and 124dB at 1m, but you would have to be very careful of how you run the system.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back