This week's guest is none other than...

egilson1

Senior Team
Senior Team
CB Mods
Premium Member
ETCP Certified Technicians
Our very own local hero and all around great guy, @What Rigger?

Episode 27 - Brian Reed

Working for Disney, the $130 Billion dollar corporation, certainly has its perks. But your average green horn rigger does not just roll out of bed and start re-rigging a fully functional replica of the first American ship to circumnavigate the globe. There are a few “stops” along the way. In this weeks episode we talk to Brian Reed, stage hand, rigger, and rope access technician who discusses his journey from being an assistant stage manager, working on the Queen Mary two, rigging special FX shows in Las Vegas, and working for ZFX where he learned to fly people. He also gives us a peak behind the vail of the world’s most well-known mega theme park.

Disclaimer: Todays guest is appearing as “himself” as an industry professional, and not as a representative of the Disney Corporation. Any comments and/or opinions shared by Brian are entirely his own and not that of Disney.

Podcast website: http://entertainmentriggingservices.com/podcast.html

You can listen and subscribe on many of your favorite podcast providers.

Apple Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/shackles-burlap-lies/id1510369294

Spotify:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Stitcher:
PocketCast: https://pca.st/o87x8jw0

Google Play Music: https://play.google.com/music/m/Ivl433guwxefzejkrfp73bzsg34?t=Shackles_Burlap__Lies

Iheart Radio: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/269-shackles-burlap-lies-62565452/

That was fun.

Thanks so much @egilson1 and @What Rigger? ! Having got to know both of you separately, I have always wanted to get the two of you together for dinner and drinks. It was so awesome to finally hear that conversation.

Even better it was a HUGE relief from the stress and chaos of election results to listen to two awesome friends talk about normal life in the industry. Love you guys... see you someday at a convention or something!

"Keep that broad look at the world, don't get target fixation on just what ETCP covers because if you do, you might miss the opportunity to put on fancy pirate clothes and go shoot guns." @What Rigger? for the win!

Do your wives know about your obsession with "pretty tail"?

Last edited:
Great episode! Favorite take away from this, "The guy who says NO and STOP isn't the bad guy".
I do wonder if the two of you have read "Nobody Looks Up" by Rick Boychuk?

Great episode! Favorite take away from this, "The guy who says NO and STOP isn't the bad guy".
Indeed. Rick is a friend of mine. Good book.

Thanks so much @egilson1 and @What Rigger? ! Having got to know both of you separately, I have always wanted to get the two of you together for dinner and drinks. It was so awesome to finally hear that conversation.

Even better it was a HUGE relief from the stress and chaos of election results to listen to two awesome friends talk about normal life in the industry. Love you guys... see you someday at a convention or something!

"Keep that broad look at the world, don't get target fixation on just what ETCP covers because if you do, you might miss the opportunity to put on fancy pirate clothes and go shoot guns." @What Rigger? for the win!

Do your wives know about your obsession with "pretty tail"?
Look, the whole thing about "you're expected to go home and take out the trash"? My wife inspired that. She doesn't care about how cool I am, she just thinks I'm cute and useful.

Haven't read it yet. But as the furlough extends, so does the reading list. Trying to get through Introduction to Rigging: Aerialist Essentials by Steven Santos right now. I'm about halfway through the section on working nude on various apparatus. I don't know why I figured I'd never read this sort of technique in print, but there it is. :discoball:😐

Haven't read it yet. But as the furlough extends, so does the reading list. Trying to get through Introduction to Rigging: Aerialist Essentials by Steven Santos right now. I'm about halfway through the section on working nude on various apparatus. I don't know why I figured I'd never read this sort of technique in print, but there it is. :discoball:😐
It's a short journey from Cirque du Soliel 🕶 to "Syd's Circus of Sleaze" 👙 , never know when the additional training will come in handy.

It's a short journey from Cirque du Soliel 🕶 to "Syd's Circus of Sleaze" 👙 , never know when the additional training will come in handy.
Tim, did you miss Motley Crue's "Carnival of Sins" tour? The Grinder Girls were the backup talent/aerialists....but this recent photo is the first time I've seen this act done with safety glasses. So, y'know....good for them!

Grinder.jpg

On a Podcast related note, Podcast creators do not get "credit" for people who listen on Spotify. (unless they're getting a big deal direct)
Here's the gist:
Spotify seems to be trying to build out control of advertising and distribution of podcasting. With gatekeeping power over listeners through its streaming service, and gatekeeping power over ad revenue through its advertising network, Spotify will eventually be able to force podcasters to live in its ecosystem. It won’t be impossible to get listeners without Spotify, just as newspapers can technically get direct traffic instead of traffic from Google and Facebook, but it’ll be very hard.
https://mattstoller.substack.com/p/will-spotify-ruin-podcasting

Essentially, Podcasting is a completely de-centralized system where anyone can create a podcast and host it. Apple has always kept the most robust "directory" but they have no power, make no money and have no control over any podcast or podcast content, except the approval of what you submit is genuine and belongs in the category you specify.
What Spotify is trying to do is control the podcast network and make money by injecting their own ads into your podcasts. Those who got a big payout from Spotify might see it as great, but everyone else's audience is greatly diminished by not being listened to as a free and open podcast, but listening to Spotify's re-hosted version.

Tim, did you miss Motley Crue's "Carnival of Sins" tour? The Grinder Girls were the backup talent/aerialists....but this recent photo is the first time I've seen this act done with safety glasses. So, y'know....good for them!

View attachment 20981

I survived working the Genitorturers shows. The Grinder Girls were just a flash in the spandex.

I survived working the Genitorturers shows. The Grinder Girls were just a flash in the spandex.
Okay, you WIN- I never thought I'd have reason to hear the Genitorturers name mentioned here.
Best I've got is a friend in college was a dancer for The Mentors. To talk about method acting in the afternoon with the same person gyrating to "Going Through Your Purse" that night onstage and the only through-line is Melanie's 3 foot tall purple mohawk is something most people think I'm making up.

Okay, you WIN- I never thought I'd have reason to hear the Genitorturers name mentioned here.
Best I've got is a friend in college was a dancer for The Mentors. To talk about method acting in the afternoon with the same person gyrating to "Going Through Your Purse" that night onstage and the only through-line is Melanie's 3 foot tall purple mohawk is something most people think I'm making up.

Some stuff you can't make up. There have been some interesting... eh... physical performances by Iggy Pop over the years...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back