Thoughts About a Job Title

The other technicians run shows (we do 4-week runs in 3 venues). So they aren’t usually available for shop work.

I'd probably go the other way then... call those techs Board Ops/Programmers/Lighting Tech and the other person Lighting Shop Tech/Lighting Tech. Saying that one job will be essentially a 9-5 with changeovers and the occasional cover vs the job that is show run is critical. Shop tech says that, but lighting tech does not always read to me as "you also do show run".

I don't have a designation where I work. Just my name in 20+ years in doing it, it is sufficient to imply The ME for wiring amongst the ME for Hoists or ME for Electronics departments. Any of which if we notice something... you can bet you will be doing something different soon even if we don't correct you directly as we often might if me. This separate from the shop management people that are the ones that give you a raise or tell you what department to work in, or what truck to un-load.

Seperate entities where I work. I can probably fire someone, but while I'm in charge of overall wiring I have almost no official supervision of the staff. Can probably fire as per a corporate salary department manager, (even ME for that department implied), but probably only once only later supported by Management to make it official. My role most supervision, training and buyer for parts and projects.

That said, doesn't help for a resume or personal responibility and otherwise liability. In most situations, a ME title clarifies a chain of command - no matter a pay grade or responsibility in both resume and pay grade - exceptions above where a TD title (we also don't have but would be shop management,)would probably also imply. ME is a the crew chief boss, or in my case, the supervisor of conventional wiring by way of wiring of cables or fixtures - Leko/Followspots. For how it's done I can overrule in theory Shop Management as per my responsibility.l

That said TD/ME for a show is way different than ME for a corporation or theater house in beyond buying gear rights and responibilities etc. ME for... production verses company, as per title can be defined though. Having a title does help when buying gear assuming you have final purchace choice ability. This as opposed to my name and where I work convexly in not needing a title.

In theory, I'm the ME for the conventional wiring, fixture, followspot and custom project/LED tape & Neon dpt. For a title. Normally, department Manager for the "You need What" department? When? No title, but completely understand this question.

Last edited:
Had another buyer with more steam lined / official access to the corporate credit card buy some neon tape for me. (I have the credit card info but have to go thru a few steps in after usage. Busy and easier to pass the purchase onto someone else.) Had to give himself a title and apologize for later. “Purchasing Manager – Lighting Division”. He only buys a few million a year in new fixtures, and as the buyer personal assistant to the General Manager, is this, but not his title (having none.) His name and as with mine is good enough. Who we were buying from wanted a "title" for him... and as always credit card as opposed to just setting up a Net 30 account with us in spending more money with them. Would buy more with the company in very active orders paid over a number of years were it not so much trauma in figuring out what corporate credit card will pay for it as opposed to setting up an account.

Interesting, Made in China the Neon tape or even digital tape, this company has started to as opposed to raising prices, put into their quotes a 15% terriff fee. It's useful actually in being able to non/qoute figure out prices. I think though they are in general adding the terriff to in stock pre-trriff goods though.. They are price gouging, but given their starting price for the goods is cheaper than my next supplier, am paying.

Title is what you were by work defined as. Sometimes it will be important for what you buy to give yourself a title. Title, no matter what it is... "You need What, When! Dpt. Manager". is a statement of your name within the company in having earned what ever title used. Avove "Purchasing Manager", he is as another buyer, I often communicate with him, and if he buys a lot of fixtures without spare lamps... he is in trouble with me if he doesn't let me know I need to buy another class of lamps... as I would need to communicate with him and moving light repar Dpt. about a new 3rd class of lamps now to buy/install per "upgrade" to a popular mover. Really!! Communications between people and departments.

Staff meetings have a bad name for use, but really I find production meetings as per theater proper, and or staff meetings about something that comes up... are useful. Sometimes a waste of time when involved with, but when not or no meeting becomes a problem.

What during a tour of the shop, he stuck my department name with was good. "You need What?" Good description of a department I manage. In addition to other things we do. What ever title is appropriate if earned will work - mostly about your name meaning what ever it is you do well by way of your name.

Last week Thursday in babysitting the department while the shop was working late, Shop Management (one of them) came over the loudspeaker requesting someone from "Ship's" department to come to dock 7'. My turn to say late so I went. A question on how to repair feeder cable that by chance after study and a lot of reserach, I set up the work standard for how to do. Title not needed at work, name enough. In having worked in the industry since around 93 or 94' for pay, name is sufficient I don't need a title.

Were I fired, more a question of where to house my 2/3 or what I own in the ++160 museum, First. Than getting my tool box and manuals. Than about where to apply in no worry about family loss of pay or even perhaps making more. Totally differen situation, and in being fired, would be subject to a trial from the General Manager in final approval of. Way different from when I was the TD of a theater, Master Rigger, LE or ME, MC etc... for title. Recognize on a resume that a title is important to get somewhere, but at some point, your name is sufficient and the most important thing. This includes not signing off on what you don't agree on so as to get there. And study into why not and how to do better.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your thoughts on this topic. We went with "Electrics Shop Coordinator."

I posted the job here if you all know anyone that would be interested: https://www.controlbooth.com/thread...ordinator-actors-theatre-of-louisville.45566/

All that for 600 a week! Wow! I'd rename the position to "person who can't both eat and pay rent". Seriously, this job that requires experience and usually a degree thing for 30k died years ago. That is 14 dollars an hour... and you include overtime that you don't state if you compensate or not.

All that for 600 a week! Wow! I'd rename the position to "person who can't both eat and pay rent". Seriously, this job that requires experience and usually a degree thing for 30k died years ago. That is 14 dollars an hour... and you include overtime that you don't state if you compensate or not.

This position is non-exempt from overtime.

This job does not require a degree and only requires two years of experience.

I think there will be plenty of applicants. Certain work is better than the gig economy. Nobody starts on broadway. And it isn't some BS "intern" arrangement.

It's only with experience that your early-career daily-rate can become your later-career hourly-rate.

Believe my first job from college was $8.50 an hour in a a union shop in the early 90's, where I was constantly as not union... I was first laid off. What I didn't know back than was 20% of my paycheck was paid to the union so as to work there. At that point in life, I couldn't afford car insurance, college loan payments, rent, etc. plus feeding myself given layoff's. That plus fresh out of college, at a theater in imagining that would become a careereer = designer, if I only helped some say for glue or screws... than some lumber etc... First few years I mostly didn't pay bills, lived off what paychecks I got, a new checking account and the credit card. Took years to pay off my debts later. Early 90's was a recession in not much work to do, and my name was not out there in getting jobs much yet. AT times when laid off I got a few jobs, but not sufficient to pay the bills and also provide at least dinner.

$14.50 per hour is starting pay these days, not management pay? I remember when I achieved $30K a year = I was doing well in career, just starting to pay off bills in the late 90's.

Really that bad still? But on the other hand, while you might be able to run a light board or mover... old school rigging, New school rigging and fall protection, properly coiling a cable or wiring it, that plus these days Cat.6 Shielded wiring mastering... Value of new standards are much more advancedd for the title or need for a master. Obviously the venue cannot afford such a master with all, but what they might want to pay someone at times if holding to old school pay base might want more perhaps.

Used to feel like a career in theater was like the priesthood. You give up your standardard of living in working hard for ataining it over a number of years. Years of sufferage while your friends in other fields normalize their lives. Possibly something you will never get parallel with in giving this career up for one paying the bills. Am comfortable where I am, but took about 26 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back