Thoughts, feelings, opinions?

Nephilim

Behringer's Ultra Curve DEQ-2496. Considering recommending for purchase for my HS theater as a room EQ assistance tool primarily and as an alternative comp/lim.

Currently we EQ with the octave-width EQ on the Mackie CFX 20 (I know..) and comp/lim with a dbx 266A.

Whaddya think?

though I haven't had experience with this specific piece of gear...

it certainly is an improvement from what you have now. Good experience in runnning digital outboard gear, though from a teaching perspective I think it would be easier to teach the function of the units (parametric EQ, graphic EQ, Limiter, Compressor) on seperate units where you can see all the controls.

Quality wise... at least it isn't an Alesis...

seanb said:
though from a teaching perspective I think it would be easier to teach the function of the units (parametric EQ, graphic EQ, Limiter, Compressor) on seperate units where you can see all the controls.

I agree, but we don't have the cash to buy all of those before I leave.

Quality wise... at least it isn't an Alesis...

Hahaha.... true.

Yeowch! $375?

IF we could afford it, I could really use one of those.... Our previous EQ, an analog one 8O, died about a year and a half ago. So, we have no master eqilization on any of our speakers at all....

As usual, the school wont buy us anything, and I think a new sound board is about to be on its list....

It's known as the "monitor" send. Not to be confused with the FOH monitors, if there are any. *sigh*. Foldback just makes SENSE.

And it's known as a booth, thus the website's name :)

Cail

actors love to sit on floor mics. they love to turn off thier wireless bodypack and neglect to turn it back on when they go on stage (despite warnings not to touch the damn thing). batteries are expensive, and actors don't understand. actors never friggin project enough. give me a few more days of rehearsal, and i'll be sure to post some more

It is all about the grants, our guitar teacher fills out a bunch of apllications a DAY and so if he only gets like 1/8 of what he sends in he still gets enough cash to buy nice electronic drums a digital recored/mixer and some cool guitar stuff

sorry to veer back OT, but the last time I used one of those Ultracurves I was actually surprised. The thing wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The EQ is fine, pretty surgical, as opposed to a musical EQ like the KlarkTechniks DN360. The delay and crossover functions are a nice addition, although for the price I would prefer a dbx driverack. The compression is the one thing I was not happy about - definitely pales in comparison to the dbx 266. So you don't want to get rid of that.

As a far as a fair priced preset digital para/graphic EQ goes, it works magic for the money. If it was my money though, I'd save up for the Driverack PA.

The DriveRack PA is well over twice as much $ though.

Too late! I submitted the funding request already :D We'll see how it turns out.

Were you using the older Ultracurves, the 2U models? I guess I don't remember there being compression on those, just limiting.

Still, as I said, I don't intend to replace the 266A compressor. The biggest reason for purchase was that it is an inexpensive RTA. The Rane RTA is like $400 on its own, and DriveRacks are $450+ I needed to be under $300.

Perhaps another time :D I just installed the dbx DDP in our stadium system... it's *nice*.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back