Microphones Thoughts on recording an opera

Robb Albrecht

Hey All,

I've been tasked with recording an upcoming opera performance. It's a full production with an orchestra in the pit and no sound reinforcement except for some monitors on stage so the performers can hear what's going on. I want to be as unobtrusive as possible with the microphones so I've been thinking of using some AKG 562s on the walls of the pit and a 426 in front of the conductor. We also have an XY stereo rig that hangs from the catwalks that could be useful too.

Thoughts or ideas? This is my first recording gig of this size so I want to make it great. I could bail out and use the overhead mics but I want a little more than just that.

Thanks,
Robb

Assuming a traditional proscenium configuration and the necessary equipment, I've had luck with the following strategy: A LCR configuration across the lip of the stage, with L/R as omni's and C as a mid-side array. These pick up primarily the vocals. The pit is then picked up with a stereo array behind the conductor (I prefer ORTF, but to each his own) and spaced omni's as needed. Depending on the hall, a hanging pair further into the room can help add space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back