Mixers/Consoles Thoughts on Roland V-Mix?

What is your budget?

For digital, you'll have the benefit of not needing much outboard. The LS9 is a great digital console.

Alternatively, if this is for a school/learning environment, you may want to stick with analog. In that case, I highly recommend consoles from APB Dynasonics. I've mixed numerous shows on the Spectra Ti, and have had great experiences with both the console itself, and everyone at APB.

For a snake system, look at snakes from Audiopile. I've never had any problems with anything from them.

What is your budget?

For digital, you'll have the benefit of not needing much outboard. The LS9 is a great digital console.

Alternatively, if this is for a school/learning environment, you may want to stick with analog. In that case, I highly recommend consoles from APB Dynasonics. I've mixed numerous shows on the Spectra Ti, and have had great experiences with both the console itself, and everyone at APB.

For a snake system, look at snakes from Audiopile. I've never had any problems with anything from them.
If you read back to the other posts this is for just wireless and everything else is already handled out board.

Secondly if you read these are replacing our current digital boards so going back to analog would be a little silly if you ask me.

Thirdly, my school has a great tech program and we have and no problems with students using the boards, even middle school kids, don't underestimate their skills. I actually think running 30 mics with an analog board would be much harder for them instead of doing snapshot type automation and scene playback.

Hehe, I hardly ever touch sound gear but it's V-Link functions interacts with the vision mixer, meaning for example me switching feeds to 4 (The DVD) automatically brings up the DVD's audio channels on the motorised faders. Im immature I know but I love this function! And its great for convincing stupid ppl a ghost does desk audio.....

If you read back to the other posts this is for just wireless and everything else is already handled out board."

I'm aware that you want to use the additional console solely for the wireless microphones. By "outboard," I was referring to external processing, such as compression, effects, and equalization. The LS9-32 would have all of that built in. With an analog console, that would all need to be purchased and put together separately.

Secondly if you read these are replacing our current digital boards so going back to analog would be a little silly if you ask me.

What digital console is being replaced? I thought it was an A&H GL Series.

Thirdly, my school has a great tech program and we have and no problems with students using the boards, even middle school kids, don't underestimate their skills. I actually think running 30 mics with an analog board would be much harder for them instead of doing snapshot type automation and scene playback.

Shillyer said:
The other reason for not combining the two boards/systems into one is most of the students who end up running these boards do not have the skill to mix and balance not only all the mics but also a well miced orchestra pit.

I don't doubt that the program is great, and I understand that there are students with audio skills, but for those who don't have experience mixing, an analog console would help them "get a feel" for what they hear. In my opinion, it is best to learn with the traditional layout on those consoles. Many of the analog consoles offer scenes for mute automation. With that said, the snapshot automation on some of the digital consoles is a great thing to have, but it's not going to do much for someone who can't mix.

If it does come down to the Roland V-Mix or Mackie TT24, I would go with the Roland. While I haven't personally used any of the two, The Roland seems to have better reviews. Take a look at the Road Test/Product Review sections on ProSoundWeb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back