Three dimmers won't turn off

Are these standard rack spaces?
19 wide by 1.75in high
If so that can be easily and cheaply taken care of.
http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/Rack_Panel_Blanks/Rack_Panel_Blanks_cutsheet.asp

A swing and a miss!

This is not my model, but as you can see each module is a much smaller space:

proxy.php

You are right though Phil, they do make blanks, but we only have one, it fills in a never populated slot.

Derek, I don't need constant on. If we ever do rent movers though, the constant on option sounds nice.

I plan to present a document on why it's better to replace the SSRs, but if I have time (show goes up Thursday) before they send the stuff out, I don't know.

...Derek, I don't need constant on. If we ever do rent movers though, the constant on option sounds nice...
I only mentioned it as an option as your management is leaning toward replacing the entire dual module, leaving you with a still broken module, which you could easily bypass the (failed) SSR (I am not suggesting you do this without proper supervision) and use if you need a constant on, or as an "air flow module" with both circuit breakers turned OFF. Suppose you magically get the money to rent scrollers or gobo rotators or Seachangers. It would be better to run them via a "Constant On" module than just plugged into any old wall outlet.

I only mentioned it as an option as your management is leaning toward replacing the entire dual module, leaving you with a still broken module, which you could easily bypass the (failed) SSR (I am not suggesting you do this without proper supervision) and use if you need a constant on, or as an "air flow module" with both circuit breakers turned OFF. Suppose you magically get the money to rent scrollers or gobo rotators or Seachangers. It would be better to run them via a "Constant On" module than just plugged into any old wall outlet.

Ah, no, they are only completely replacing the burned out one... I don't know if I want that guy back in the rack.

Plus, we have some nice, legit, NEMA 5-15 sockets.

P.S. Speaking of rentals: We are renting from Starlite! Shazam! Maybe we'll get scrollers next time!

Edit: But I'm not sure if the dept head rented correctly: $125ish for 3 x 3cell CYC washes?

Ah! You already have 3 "always on" units! Just keep one!

A blown SCR works just like a wire ;)

Sounds like a fair price to me.

man, you got the nice upgraded CD-80. SCR's do go out, but they are cheap and there is nothing to them. Replacing an SCR is easier than replacing a ballast in a flourescent.

Maybe because prices aren't the same for everyone.;)

Yea, I know, but I've always felt like companies should provide the sorta "base line" price. The "if you were John Doe renting one S4" price. People know that the price is variable but it can be helpful, if only to provide a sense of how much stuff is going to cost.

I have a bunch of old CD-80 parts, you are welcome to have them as long as you take care of getting them out of my theatre!

Century lighting told us to send the modules back to them...? They apparently don't have parts for them anymore...?

Redux:

Community theatre with 4 dimmers that won't turn on (blown SCRs/SSRs, what have you). If these were just modules, I'd feel comfortable installing new powercubes. However, Craptronics apparently doesn't put too much info up online, and I don't trust these two rack mounted RE-121Ls.

From a few second glance it appeared that all of the conduits run to the dimmers were terribly mismatched in terms of color coding, with no nice e-tape on the end... Talk about a place where you want a DMM. Also, the installers left one of the junction boxes pretty wide opened, and mis-wired some other circuits, based on the original plan.

Oh, look what I found. So a new unit costs significantly less than the repair? Oh well. If only I was qualified and knew enough to install this, it would save them some good money. I wouldn't be surprised if this organization paid over a thousand-a-piece for this, factor in this repair bill, and it puts the RE-121D neck and neck with the SmartPack. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back