Tie-Line for Storing XLR cables, Glazed or Un-Glazed?

Glazed or Un-Glazed Tie-Line

• Total voters

dvsDave

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Senior Team
CB Mods
Fight Leukemia
Ran into an interesting debate over the weekend. I had a shop manager and a touring guy debating whether it was better to use glazed or unglazed tie-line for wrapping XLR cables.

What do you think is better?

I use glazed for that. I think it holds up a bit longer than the unglazed stuff. However there is also a selfish reason. Scenery is less likely to steal my spools with the coated stuff. :angryoldman:

Unglazed. I just find that it hold the knots better. I could see the glazed being more durable, but I'm not touring, so...

Glazed! Holds a Knot!

Glazed SUCKS.

Yes it holds a knot but it's 20 times as much effort to get the knot undone. I now just take a knife to it.

Unglazed holds a knot just fine, assuming it's the correct knot for the application, correctly tied.

Sorry, this is a real sore point with me. Our former PM, an otherwise really smart guy, slipped up and purchased glazed one year, I really, really just hate glazed and have been working diligently to get this stuff out of our theater. The PM then and after I complained about the glazed crap, purchased the nylon/plastic version, which REALLY will not hold a knot, no matter how well tied.

I'm surprised the touring guy had a care either way -- every tour I've worked on has tie line for days in 500' spools for every department, when the tie on your XLR's starts to go, just cut some more off and buy another spool on the producers dollar. I only ever order unglazed these days, but then again I haven't had to deal with house stock in a few years -- cable comes from the shop in a nice spool, I use it, throw it in a hamper and send it back to the shop when the gig is over. That being said, when I did have a house stock to deal with, it was velcro rip-ties, and if I was out, unglazed.

At first I didn't chime in because I was team unglazed, but didn't really have a hard opinion on it since I don't work with glazed often. Things change. Just got three drops in, two with unglazed tie line and one with glazed tie line. I hung the glazed one on Thursday, and the two unglazed on Friday. Still no strong opinion. I needed to add chain to all three at each carrier in order to lower them (dead-hung). Did one unglazed drop on Monday night, Hands felt just fine. Glazed one I did Tuesday afternoon and by the end of it my hands were killing me from working with the stuff. At the end of the night my hands were feeling better so I started work on the last one and was dreading my hands aching again, but alas they were just fine. Much lower fatigue. So for my money, I'm sticking with unglazed, but now I have some better justification.

Also, it could have been operator error but when I went to retie them, all the unglazed had held their knots, but one piece of glazed had come untied.

(I'm certain this could have been a more succinct tale, but I am far to tired to edit this).

... and by the end of it my hands were killing me from working with the stuff.
I'm sure it's my technique, but for several years now whenever I tie drops (shoelace knot) with any tie except twill tape, the offstage sides of my pinkies at the first knuckle become blistered. Anyone else ever experience this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back