The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Tieline, Trickline: synonymous?

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by derekleffew, Nov 2, 2008.

1. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

2. MNicolai

MNicolai Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

Consultant
    I would guarantee each person I work with in this region knows it as tieline, and I'd go further to say that some would even get confused if it was called trickline. However, at my local Clearwing Pro Shop, it's in their system as trickline. I know this because it took them 10 minutes to ring up a spool of it on the register because they were looking in their own database for tieline, which if you want to get technical, they don't sell.

3. elite1trek

elite1trek Active Member

AFAIK, tieline is the black masons cord. I don't ever use the term trickline. The jute stuff I usually just call twine, although I never use it.

4. soundlight

soundlight Well-Known Member

Definitely synonymous in every place that I have worked.

5. gafftapegreenia

gafftapegreenia CBMod CB Mods

Prop-tart
    Yea the jute material I would just call twine.

I usually call it tie line. Alot of people I know call it trick line. Usually its interchangeable.

What about the white tie line?

6. icewolf08

icewolf08 CBMod CB Mods

Controls Technician - TAIT Towers
    According to what I have learned, and is supported by BMI Supply, tieline is an unrated type of cordage that comes in either coated (glazed) or uncoated and is 1/8" diameter cord. Trickline I always think of as a load rated line. It can be ordered in different test strengths and is significantly more expensive than tieline.
    As for what I call the Jute version: PITA! Not worth spending money on.

7. gafftaper

gafftaper Senior Team Senior Team Fight Leukemia

Theater Manager & T.D.
    More regional fun! In my world they would be defined as follows...

Tieline is the black stuff we all use to secure cables. Although it is sometimes rated for a load it should never be trusted for anything other than securing cable or hanging a light weight fabric drop that would not be a hazard if it did fall.

Trickline is something fancy, load rated, and expensive. IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, it can be trusted for a variety of rigging purposes. These days it's likely to be made of a fancy synthetic material such as Spectra. This type of line is often as strong or stronger than wire rope of the same diameter.

You can call the jute version anything you want as long as you aren't calling to order some for me.

8. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    Gotta go with Gaff on this one.
    Tie Line typically a braided outter shell of cotton surrounding a core of either nylon of cotton.

Trick Line I usally consider a term used for Braided Dacron, or similar type of rated Light weight easily disguised line. Very useful for rigging Marionettes, or other floating things wehere you don't want to see the strings i.e. it's used for tricks.

9. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

The braided, man-made material some call trickline I refer to as Parachute Cord for sale - parachute cord spool. (Such pretty colors. Who knew?)

At least we seem to be unanimous in our dislike for jute twine. A necessary evil, in my opinion; along with machine-coiled cable.

10. gafftaper

gafftaper Senior Team Senior Team Fight Leukemia

Theater Manager & T.D.

See now I would call that parachute cord and trickline similar looking but much stronger stuff. I love things like this where every theater seems to have a different definition. Sometimes it's amazing that any of us can carry on a simple conversation with each other.

The prettiest color is always black.

11. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    Goin' with Gaff again;
    Parachute cord is Parachute cord and it's usually around 1/4 - 3/16" in diameter, whereas I think of trick line as something like Spider Wire .

12. DarSax

DarSax Active Member

Tieline is the black stuff on the spools, oh so much better glazed. I actually have never heard of trickline.

I HATE jute twine, HATE-HATE.