Tieline, Trickline: synonymous?

I would guarantee each person I work with in this region knows it as tieline, and I'd go further to say that some would even get confused if it was called trickline. However, at my local Clearwing Pro Shop, it's in their system as trickline. I know this because it took them 10 minutes to ring up a spool of it on the register because they were looking in their own database for tieline, which if you want to get technical, they don't sell.

Definitely synonymous in every place that I have worked.

Yea the jute material I would just call twine.

I usually call it tie line. Alot of people I know call it trick line. Usually its interchangeable.

What about the white tie line?

According to what I have learned, and is supported by BMI Supply, tieline is an unrated type of cordage that comes in either coated (glazed) or uncoated and is 1/8" diameter cord. Trickline I always think of as a load rated line. It can be ordered in different test strengths and is significantly more expensive than tieline.
BMI Supply said:
Black Nylon Trickline: A great load rated line that virtually disappears when used with a black backdrop. 50 yards per roll.

As for what I call the Jute version: PITA! Not worth spending money on.

More regional fun! In my world they would be defined as follows...

Tieline is the black stuff we all use to secure cables. Although it is sometimes rated for a load it should never be trusted for anything other than securing cable or hanging a light weight fabric drop that would not be a hazard if it did fall.

Trickline is something fancy, load rated, and expensive. IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, it can be trusted for a variety of rigging purposes. These days it's likely to be made of a fancy synthetic material such as Spectra. This type of line is often as strong or stronger than wire rope of the same diameter.

You can call the jute version anything you want as long as you aren't calling to order some for me.

Gotta go with Gaff on this one.
Tie Line typically a braided outter shell of cotton surrounding a core of either nylon of cotton.

Trick Line I usally consider a term used for Braided Dacron, or similar type of rated Light weight easily disguised line. Very useful for rigging Marionettes, or other floating things wehere you don't want to see the strings i.e. it's used for tricks.

See now I would call that parachute cord and trickline similar looking but much stronger stuff. I love things like this where every theater seems to have a different definition. Sometimes it's amazing that any of us can carry on a simple conversation with each other.

The prettiest color is always black.
Goin' with Gaff again;
Parachute cord is Parachute cord and it's usually around 1/4 - 3/16" in diameter, whereas I think of trick line as something like Spider Wire .

Tieline is the black stuff on the spools, oh so much better glazed. I actually have never heard of trickline.

I HATE jute twine, HATE-HATE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back