Time Code

kovacika

I was looking for some basic information on time code. I just started to explore light factory (a computer based dmx interface) and saw several references to time code. I gather that it is a way of synchronizing lights to music and can be used with winamp. I basicly am looking for basic outline of how it should work. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Aaron

A clock runs in HH:MM:SS:FF (hours, minutes, seconds, frames). There are usually 29 frames per second. It used to be used to sync movies with the audio track (still is, actually). Basically you make one device send out time code (in its native form, its an audio track). Other devices listen to it and then do whatever they are told to do at a given time. It makes what is called a "canned" sequence. If you want to learn more about it without me writing 30 pages, get "Control Systems for Live Entertainment" by John Hunnington.

Ditto on footers statement or google "SMPTE"

You are probably going to find two types of time code, on is SMPTE which typically is from the video world or the audio world that needs to sync to video.

You have really in NTSC videdo 29.97 frames per second, and typically on video ntsc you will have what is called Drop Frame TIME CODE *you can tell by the fact that instead of a : there is a ; before the frames, this allows frame time to match up with wall time.

In PAL land, you have 25 FSP, and typically in film you have 24 fps there are a few oddities like on a HD dvd created from a film the time code will actually be 23.97, to allow it to be broadcast. You will have all sorts of pull up and pull down things to allow broadcast and film and audio to all work together in the US. Pal and Film world is pretty straight forward

ALSO you have Midi Time Code, this is not as high a resolution as SMPTE but very common in audio applications. You only get full time code every two frames in Midi time code

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_timecode

Sharyn

I can set a trigger for a cue in time code. I get that i just put the time in the song i want the cue to go, but i dont know what to put as the framerate. 24fps is the standard for video, i think, on playback that is. (recording is at a higher speed- 29.97fps). If anyone knows for sure that would be wonderful.

Also, im not sure how winamp willexport the timecode to lightfactory. If anybody has experience with this or similar programs id love to have the insight.

Thanks
Aaron

I havent played with winamp for years, so im not much help there, but what device is producing the code?

24fps is the standard for video, i think, on playback that is. (recording is at a higher speed- 29.97fps).

That is incorrect. 24fps is not the standard for video - film yes. And the playback and recording FPS are the same. If it wasn't you'd have some seriously different results in your playback.

I second the recommendation for John Huntington's book "Control Systems for Live Entertainment". I have it, and it's a very good read for learning about timecode and systems integration.

You need a player that will generate time code. If you just need audio, many of the audio aps like cubase etc will generate midi time code

Sharyn

You need a player that will generate time code. If you just need audio, many of the audio aps like cubase etc will generate midi time code

Sharyn
I beleive Winamp has a smpte output plugin. I Love it ! it's my default player for almost evything

I've searched high and low and cannot find any smpte timecode or midi timecode or any timecode for Winamp. If I have a link that would be great.
Typically you are going to need to have an independant output that will present the time code. It is possible to get a time code sync generator, and record your audio on one track and the time code on the other track and get a timecode reader. So you could record something in winamp and have stereo left be the real audio and stereo right be the timecode. Smpte time code in a signal in the audio spectrum so it is possible

Sharyn

Here is the window in light factory where it refers to winamp. I also had spent almost an hour browsing through plug-ins and couldnt find anything.

Attachments

• timecode.JPG
    timecode.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 346
Light Factory is most likely using the timebase off of a single mp3/wav/whatever track in Winamp starting at 00:00:00.00. So you could play a song on Winamp and have Light Factory track with that song.

You could probably play your winamp track and hit pause where you wanted a cue. Make note of the time and then enter that time into Light Factory. Conversely, search Light Factory for a learn mode that would allow you to play Winamp and then push GO in Light Factory so that it might learn where you wanted the cues to go.

-j

I know this is an old thread but i thought i'd add my $.02
if you pause the song in winamp it should show you the current time in your cuelist editor and when you add a new cue it will use the current time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back