Time to ask the "Big Guns".

Firstly let me apologize for intruding with probably some very lame questions.
However, I have found myself at a dead end, and I think I need some expert help with lighting and syncing those lights to multiple audio zones.
I have a dedicated computer system with cubase sx, midi controllers an Maudio card running 10 audio channels. The audio goes to different zones in a yard haunt that is closer to a community stage production than a "boo scare kids" type of thing. I am trying to find a way to sync up and control lights in each of these zones (emulating lightning, fluttering lanterns etc.). I'd like the ability to have about 8 channels of independantly dimming lights that I can "animate" to the soundtrack.
Is there a way to sync Cubase SX to a DMX controller?
I have found midi "dimmer packs" but often they don't take key pressure into account, can you guys reccomend a midi dimmer that is under 200$?
Can you think of a better way to reach my goals?
Thanks for letting me bend your ears a bit.
all the best,
Rob
Here is my site if your are interested www.skullandbone.com .

Your best bet, at least from my eyes, MIDI doesnt suit to well to dimmer control, would be to go with a timecode based system. Cubase is allready running a time code, and I beleive it will output midi TC. Most consoles accept this, and you can easily program lighting to respond to that. If you want to go a lower tech route get a DMX widget (entec for example) and find a program that will also run on timecode to control those dimmer via DMX. I know how you should do it if you want to spend a bit or you can get your hands on a console that will do timecode (an ETC express will do this).

Those systems would probably be your best bet. That equiptment uses simple commands to do alot, but you have very little real control, but for you purposes they should work rather well. (and the cost is also a plus...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back