TimeCode Generator In Network (hardware or software)

McCready00

Hello all,

Is there any hardware on the market that can generate Timecode thru a network.

Something really simple, just as programming lengh of timecode, start it, stop it, give a start time/end time/reset time.

Otherwise, what is the software you are using to generate timecode.. I use Reaper which work fine, but I would like to get something way more simple. TimeLord was kind of a good option but it crashed every 2 seconds.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

What devices are you trying to get timecode to?

There is no standard for sending timecode over a network. Art-Net TimeCode exists, however not many devices support it.

Hello all,

Is there any hardware on the market that can generate Timecode thru a network.

Something really simple, just as programming lengh of timecode, start it, stop it, give a start time/end time/reset time.

Otherwise, what is the software you are using to generate timecode.. I use Reaper which work fine, but I would like to get something way more simple. TimeLord was kind of a good option but it crashed every 2 seconds.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
@McCready00 I suspect Alcorn McBride has rock solid hard ware for your purposes but I STRONGLY suspect you won't like their prices.
Alcorn McBride (from memory) is based in Florida and their hardware and software runs theme parks (Like all of Disney's) world wide. I've only installed Alcorn McBride's gear twice prior to my retirement: First for Madame Tussaud's LasVegas location and the second time in one of the pavilions in our provincially owned water parks, Ontario Place on the shore of Lake Ontario in Toronto, Ontario up here north of Donald's walls in Canada.
Alcorn McBride: Good people marketing GOOD and rock solid hardware and software with SUPERB customer support; PRICEY, but oh so stable, solid and reliable in 24 / 7 / 365 installations.
EDIT: @McCready00 Link added to Alcorn McBride. This may not be the precise product you're seeking but I STRONGLY suspect, if you contact Alcorn McBride, they'll have an answer for you amongst their products IF your pockets are sufficiently deep.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
Will MIDI timecode work?... there are lots of MIDI networking implementations. Otherwise most timecode I see on shows are audio signals run through distribution amps.

Very few Timecode uses just Network. It's almost always dumping to an audio signal somewhere. Your best bet is probably an Audio over IP solution. I very much enjoy QSYS for these situations as it can generate as well as transport. And if you want to send Timecode as text you can do that too with some scripting.
@JohnHuntington did a Geekout at Infocomm this year about this very topic. There was a Youtube Video out of it also.

I forgot to add... On most major tours, if there is timecode bouncing around, we see several "Timecode Destripalyzers" from Brainstorm electronics... They also have a few other products, some of which can do what you want. (warning it is pro level gear, and not cheap.)
There are also some PTP (Precision Time Protocol) products that may do what you want, including stuff from Brainstorm and Ocilloquartz.

Hope this helps.
RB

Last edited:
@ScottT ; I would like to play videos and songs in order to find timings on it, play it to send Timecode to Grandma's console.. Well finally, mostly for pre-programming. I am actually using REAPER, but that one doesn't support VIDEO and glitch with some computers. Horea is great but not supported under Windows.

@RonHebbard : I need something simple and not costly. We already have powerful software for the showtime. I mostly need it for pre-programming.

@Morte615 / JohnHuntington: Interesting, I will give it a read for sure. thanks for the link

TimMc: SMTPE

Thanks for the replies..

Last edited by a moderator:
LTC SMPTE is basically audio (it's recorded on an audio track, unlike VITC which is embedded in the video) so any scheme (Dante, for example) that sends/receives low latency audio via TCP/IP networks should work. It won't be free.

Why does the LTC have to be on a network, if you're using it for pre-production?

Note to add: If you're running 'timecode' on an ethernet or IP 'network' (and not PTP or some specific network time synchronization protocol) to feed multiple devices you will likely have differential delay between nodes - sometimes a quite noticeable delay. If you run 'timecode' on bare cable (or even an RS485 'network') without additional encapsulation your delay is essentially the speed of light propagation through the cable (there's a velocity factor that may slow it to as little as 60% C).

If it's an issue of getting the signal where you need, you could easily patch LTC into a Cat5 (/5e/6/heck even Cat3) patch point (presuming you have such) and adapt it to the appropriate connector on each end - it only should take a single pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back