Timecode on same PC

fluentpc

Hi, is it possible to have a timecode output and a input on the same pc. For example, I am using Eos Nomad and Adobe Audition on the same PC. Can SMPTE (or midi) timecode be done?
Thanks

Nomad requires additional hardware to receive MTC or SMPTE. So it could be done on the same PC but would have to be received via a show control gateway or programming wing.

Are you also using the timecode to control something other than the console? If not, then Nomad does have the option of using internal timecode for cue triggering. I have yet do this for real, but my plan for the next time I need to sync cues to music is to have the first cue in a list trigger music playback in QLab*, and run a macro that starts the internal timecode to fire off the rest of the cues at the appropriate times.

(*I would probably do this via MIDI since I'd be using a full console rather than Nomad, but OSC or UDP would be options for Nomad.)

Are you also using the timecode to control something other than the console? If not, then Nomad does have the option of using internal timecode for cue triggering. I have yet do this for real, but my plan for the next time I need to sync cues to music is to have the first cue in a list trigger music playback in QLab*, and run a macro that starts the internal timecode to fire off the rest of the cues at the appropriate times.

(*I would probably do this via MIDI since I'd be using a full console rather than Nomad, but OSC or UDP would be options for Nomad.)
I'm using it for 2 things first, to make a lightshow to music and as a movie accent lighting. Using internal timecode requires you to start at the same time as the music or video. Which can be difficult.

Hi,

if you are using midi timecode, you could use a midi looper to get the timecode from one program to the other. A midi looper is a small piece of software that simulates a midi output device to one program, and a midi input device to the other. This allows you to pass midi data from one program to another program running on the same machine.

I have used this method with success by synchronizing an grandMA2 onPC with the midi timecode output of reaper (a digital audio workstation) in order to do a synchronized light-show. I used a looper called LoopBe1 (free), but there are a lot of alternatives on the market.

Here is a link to the midi looper that I used:

http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html

I've also used loopbe and has success.

I was using it to control Madrix as a test run while I was trying to figure out how I was going to control 2 programs without switching screens during a performance. It worked but I went a different route.

What you might be able to do is use OSC or MIDI to start the playback from audition and the internal clock at the same time. In order works have a first cue that starts the internal clock and sends an OSC string. Not sure how to implement this though.

EDIT-
You might want to look at using Reaper for the playback. It does have the ability to start playback from an OSC command.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back