Tiny Floor Pocket?

bobgaggle

Mods, maybe the electrics board could answer this better...

I'm building a bunch of hexagonal and trapezoidal platforms that roll around and assemble into different honeycomb-like configurations a vista during the show. We were going to use coffin locks to latch them together, but designer doesn't want to see unused ones in the edge, depending on the configuration. So we're going with Automation FX airpux in each unit to hold it where we want it. All that being said, if you're familiar with the system, you know there's a little toggle switched valve that operates the system. We don't want to see that switch on the side of the platforms either (or bury it behind other platforms depending on configuration) so I want to hide that switch in the deck in a floor pocket. Lift the lid, flip the switch, and away you roll.

So, anyone know of a tiny, blank floor pocket that I can drill my one hole for the switch in? maybe 4x4x2? Or, where do you buy your floor pockets? and I'll go look around

Side note, we started using Automation FX for some other rolling units. Laine, up there in the frigid north, is a great guy. Super helpful in designing a system with the capacity you need...

I’ve seen floor pockets designed for single microphones that are about that size. Not sure of source.

A standard (non-theatrical) floor electric box and cover might do. Many require screwing or unscrewing the access plate thingy, but there are some that do not.

I like Bill's idea of a magnet system. Reed switches are very reliable and neither expensive nor hard to come by, though you may need a relay or transistor or something depending on the current required of the switch.

Mods, maybe the electrics board could answer this better...

I'm building a bunch of hexagonal and trapezoidal platforms that roll around and assemble into different honeycomb-like configurations a vista during the show. We were going to use coffin locks to latch them together, but designer doesn't want to see unused ones in the edge, depending on the configuration. So we're going with Automation FX airpux in each unit to hold it where we want it. All that being said, if you're familiar with the system, you know there's a little toggle switched valve that operates the system. We don't want to see that switch on the side of the platforms either (or bury it behind other platforms depending on configuration) so I want to hide that switch in the deck in a floor pocket. Lift the lid, flip the switch, and away you roll.

So, anyone know of a tiny, blank floor pocket that I can drill my one hole for the switch in? maybe 4x4x2? Or, where do you buy your floor pockets? and I'll go look around

Side note, we started using Automation FX for some other rolling units. Laine, up there in the frigid north, is a great guy. Super helpful in designing a system with the capacity you need...
@bobgaggle
Mr. Gaggle Sir; You may try this link to Middle Atlantic Products, conference tables (and surface cable ports). At a quick glance, I noted many styles but none with a blank plate for your switch or pneumatic valve.
Seriously, whenever you're searching for something slightly unusual / non-standard, phone them; their level of phone support is second only to ETC's.
Give them a try, they're beyond good, even beyond GREAT. dang near PHUQUING PHABULOUS!!
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back