Tiptop Artnet to DMX converter

Tonerboy

I purchased
download.jpeg
this unit some time ago and was never able to get it to work as there was no manual in the box. I know, you get what you pay for. I was for testing an already installed DMX system.
By chance does anybody know what the Password is to access the device so I can set up the IP addresses.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    4.7 KB · Views: 133
Unfortunately, that picture is not very helpful for identifying what precise unit you have. It's blue, and it has four XLR connectors...but beyond that, I can't tell the brand or have any clue where you bought it from or anything like that. Could you post a larger picture and/or whatever other information you do have?

(Mind you, there's still an extremely high chance that I will not be able help you much at all even knowing exactly what make, model, etc. it is.)

Does it ask for a password? I have an ArtNet to DMX unit that the configurations are set by browsing a certain IP address.

I saw a similar-looking item on ebay and it said the default IP was 192.168.1.1.

The unit is built by a Chinese company and marketed by more than one vendor. Tiptop seems to be the more common name that comes up for that description. While I am fairly competent with DMX, this is my first venture into Artnet as an option.
I thought I needed to set some of the IP address information to communicate with the device., that being done via a webpage but it doesn't come up at 192.168.1.X (tried 0 thur 9). I've tried it with a couple of different PC based programs without success and looking to use it on a GrandMa1 at our church due to a failed/intermittent universe. The GrandMa setup seems to be extremely confusing, I work with PCs and networking as my normal job.

I've got an Avolights Quartz that I own and now a couple of movers for testing. Will cable up everything this weekend or next and see what sparks.

Thanks for the response

Maybe use an IP address scanner on your PC to see what IP addresses are in use on the LAN and eliminate the ones you know are not it?

The page @TimMc linked to confirms what would have been my suspicion - it defaults to a 2.x.x.x address because, historically, that was "artnet's space". Which is fine so long as your lighting network is completely isolated and not routable to the internet (nobody uses a general purpose network for lighting, right?). If you can, I'd set it to a 10.x.x.x range.

2.x.x.x is not a private range (like 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x), it was a reserved range. Some of it has now been assigned to public addresses in France.

Last edited:
I've given the device to a "network/PC" guy I work with. He's good at Wireshark and delving into strange devices. Hopefully, something will work.

Thanks all for your replys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back