To foam or not to foam?

RockIsland

I've started making a waterfall for a small stage. The frame is 1x4 and 2x4 construction covered in chicken wire. I'm using 3 sump pumps for a water source. There will also be a small pond for the water to fall into and the source of water for the pumps. The entire structure is 12ftx12ft and 10ft tall. We are using it to cover two doors and to add to our outdoor theme. My question is would it be better to cover in burlap and VSSD or spray foam. Of course this needs to be as inexpensive as possible and will be built in sections for storage. Also the event is in 3 weeks. Thoughts, concerns, other ideas?

IF you use VSSD use a very small amount of drywall mud. You may want to look into coating it with "Lagging compound", try either Vimasco or Zeller. Or if you can still find it at Home Despot, or the home center of your choice, and elastomeric Roof coating. Both of these hold up rather well to running water and you can seal the seam with standard latex waterproof caulk.

Two schools of thought as far as I know: waterproof it entirely, meaning no seams/breaks etc. Cover your substrate in some sort of rubberized compound (many industries use many products).

The other school says you should accept that this thing will leak like a sieve and design around that. Basin with a seamless liner hidden at the bottom collects water that leaks through the "pond" and from elsewhere (could hide one of your sumps with a float switch in there)

I've built water features both ways, way 2 is faster/cheaper/headache on the back end. Way 1 is more painstaking during the build and takes a lot more time, but GENERALLY it works pretty well and you don't turn your orchestra pit into a pool

That "Flex seal" stuff they advertise on TV (you know, the stuff where they replace the bottom of a boat with a screen door then coat it and float it) comes in gallons, might be worth a try.

That "Flex seal" stuff they advertise on TV (you know, the stuff where they replace the bottom of a boat with a screen door then coat it and float it) comes in gallons, might be worth a try.
Flex seal in Silicone, by the time you get something on it that will then allow you to paint it, any small budget is wasted. Again, a Latex based Lagging compound or EDPM pond liner and proper sealant are your friends on this.

Thank you all for your help, We are going with flex seal, heavy black plastic drop cloth and lots of overhang on the joints. I will post pics when the prop is completed and running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back