To get a new BOH rack mixer or not

KBToys82

I recently purchased a PreSonus StudioLive 32.4.2 AI mixer. It will eventually be housed in our sound/light booth up in the balcony. I've got a 150 foot 16x4 XLR snake that almost reaches the back of house rack where I then have to plug into another mixer to distribute to the amps and so forth.

Since we are already in the middle of an auditorium upgrade, I am debating on getting the RML16AI mixer for the BOH mixer. I would still keep the other mixer for non-musical events when I'm not around, but for our musicals and talent show performances, now I can plug everything directly into the rack mixer, run ethernet cable from the BOH to the FOH mixer and be done.

My wireless receivers I keep at the FOH, so I wouldn't need to have more than 16 inputs. Also, since I have 3 amps, the main outs would be dedicated to front pair of speakers, Mix 1 & 2 would be headed to the back speakers and Mix 3 & 4 for my monitors.

The upside is no longer having to connect and disconnect my snake every time it has be be used and not having to run additional wire to reach my BOH mixer anymore. Obviously the big question is, is it really worth it for the cost? Also, is 200ft of ethernet cable still an acceptable length of cable run to go between the 2 mixers.

I do believe ethernet goes up to 300 ft. before you need a repeater, but that may just be AES50. You will have more outputs on stage if you get the RM16. Ethernet is fairly inexpensive. If you have the funds for the RM16, go for it. It will make your life easier from having to disconnect and connect your stuff every time you need to use it.

AVB, the protocol which you will be using, has a max cable length of 100 meters. You will be fine for you 200ft run. You will also want to use at least Cat5e cable. If you don't already know, you will also need the option card for your SL32. The model is SL-AVB-Mix. This will enable you to connect to the mixer you are talking about the one you have FOH. This is the press release for the card. It has some good info on it. http://www.presonus.com/press/press...king-for-StudioLive-Active-Integration-Mixers

I would also recommend that while you are pulling Cat5e cable, that you pull extra dry runs. If you are buying a box of 1000ft run 5 200ft lengths of it.

Also, the price difference between the 16 channel and the 32 channel RML32ai is only 600 bucks. If you can swing the extra cost you should. It will give you lots more flexibility down the line with your 32 channel FOH mixer.

I know I needed an option card, but I'm looking at what I bought from sweetwater, and there option card that says SL-AVB-MIX, and it's the exact same as what I installed. I will take a look at. I know this comes standard with the RM mixers. Was hoping it was also on my current mixer.

Either way, I'll consider looking into getting the 32 channel mixer, but I'm just not sure what if any use I will get out of it since it is a very small stage.

I do believe ethernet goes up to 300 ft. before you need a repeater, but that may just be AES50. You will have more outputs on stage if you get the RM16. Ethernet is fairly inexpensive. If you have the funds for the RM16, go for it. It will make your life easier from having to disconnect and connect your stuff every time you need to use it.
I thought the RM16 was the older version of the RML16AI, which has 8 combo TRS/XLR jacks.

2 things however I dislike about this setup which makes me leery to invest is currently there is no way to setup the Aux mixes on the rack mixer through the console, it would have to be controlled via software (they said over a year ago that this feature would be coming soon). Also it only has 1 main out section. We have front and back speakers that are on 2 different amps.

OK, I was just reading up and even though they still have their old brochure listed, they released a new firmware which allows for simple stage box to control your Aux mixes from the FOH console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back