tool lanyards???

some pants have proper double-reinforced belt loops!

not most, though. carhartt i'm lookin' at YOU.
I personally will never trust a belt loop again. Doesn’t matter who makes it. But, to each their own. I do like those tool lanyards. I have them on a number of my tools.

Very dissipointed with my DeWalt 20v, high power drill, and the various impact drivers that they didn't have anywhere to secure them from dropping. My last class of DeWalt 14.4 series had ponts to attach to I believe desined into them, but that was in the early 90's. All 14.4v tools are more shop tools these days. This is because nobody will steal a 14.4v cordless tool.

Given on-site installs, I decided to make handle figure 8 safety wires to clip my safety loops onto. 1/16" GAC wire rope with tested 100% efficient crimps on them should provide a safe working load of 95# which is much more than any shock loading of the tool clipped into a safety. I obviously don't trust the wide belt loop for the tool for shock loading.
The belt clip could easily be clipped into for a safety, and probably would do the job. But for me does not meet my standards for safety in working on a boom lift 50' above potentally others at times above others.

Most electricians I work with, work within the Milwaukee 18v system.... No idea or their cordless tools or safety on them if at all. In my case, a dropped drill would be problemetic in having to send for repair and weeks to get it back. I have enogh of any tool to make it work, but not enough to drop.

Attachments

• 20230208_234254.jpg
    20230208_234254.jpg
    598 KB · Views: 23
I've been looking for a tool lanyard that is detachable. The closest I've come up with is a piece of tie line. I'd like something a little better, but something I can remove and attach to another tool. Suggestions?
I know this is obvious but:
If your aim is to secure each tool from loss whilst it is in use, then how about:
# regular boy scout's lanyard round your neck;
# replace whistle etc with a "click type" keyring holder or very small quick-release karabinier, splicing this to the free end of the lanyard rope;
# but then you need each tool to have a permanently-fixed ring or other feature to click the device at the end of the lanyard to.
I know all this is obvious; but it is the way to do it.

I know this is obvious but:
If your aim is to secure each tool from loss whilst it is in use, then how about:
# regular boy scout's lanyard round your neck;
I know all this is obvious; but it is the way to do it.
In the U.S., tools around the neck may run afoul of OSHA (H&S) regulations as a choking/strangulation hazard. Additionally, a break-away safety lanyard is more likely to break away with the added weight of a dropped tool, creating a falling object hazard if used at heights.
I know all this is obvious, but it is NOT the way to do it.

Regards.
RB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back