Steel or composite toe, end of story.
I learned this the hard way, heavy aluminum riser to the big toe. Still have the blue blood there - not fun. Thankfully, my foot didn't get more than that - nothing broken.

Boots are actually on my list, high on my list, but I don't know what brand to go with, or anything of that sort.

I was told to report to work with a c-wrench and a measuring tape. Seems like an odd combo, because certain days I'll be in the shop, and other days I'll be working electrics.
Edit:
And of course, closed-toed shows, for all tech work.
Actually if you are going to a professional theater that is all you should have to bring with you. Anything more you run the risk of losing/breaking/getting stolen. And since they told you exactly what to bring, if any other the above happens you are S.O.L. and will have to replace it yourself. They should have all the other equipment needed.

Oh, yes I realize that. I just thought they'd have tape measurers, I guess that was the thing that stuck out in my mind. I mean, I guess if I were in charge, I'd want to be the one with the measuring equipment, to make sure it was accurate. Maybe that only makes sense to me? :neutral:

My post was specific in stating that the tools I suggested are what I "recommend".

In reality, if someone simply has a c-wrench, shows up on time, is awake and breathing and not eating their breakfast when they walk onstage, then I'm OK.

I have one complete numb nut who is rarely on time, is eating his Egg McMuffin when he walks on-stage and is constantly borrowing my c-wrench. Drives me frigging nuts as he keeps getting hired. Sigh.

I don't ask anyone to bring their own electric meters, electrical hand or specialty type tools, drills, etc.... as we provide all that, including rechargeable flashlights, sharpies/pens, etc....

I like the Lightspeed wrench as I find it faster when rotating units from US to DS focus, and/or focusing, as I do not use the F _ _ K me nut, instead using the 1/2" yoke bolt. The Lightspeed works well for that as well as the square clamp bolt. I think a 5/8 - 3/4 Sears ratchet box wrench does the same thing, but I like the angled off-set of the Lightspeed - which BTW is $25 at Pro-Advantage.

Steve B.

Just checked out the Red Wing site... pricey! Shoulda asked for a pair for xmas. I will check out the Timberland prices online.

I just read through the old threads on boots. It looks like the steal-toed sneaker option is out. Is 6" or 8" the standard?

I'll be spending a month working in a regional theatre, so maybe a stop-gap measure is in order, or perhaps an early bday gift?

Run of the mill steel toe sneakers are not all that good.
You need several things to make a safety shoe, not just the steel in the toes.
These things are the best!
http://www.redwingworx.com/order/6552.htm
Actually stronger than steel, and they don't set off alarms at the airport.

I suppose that is not water resistant. I'd also have concern with proper ankle support in that boot, or uh, chukka? Do we know what sort of "composite" material this is?

What should I be looking for in a sole, with specific attention to climbing ladders. Something more rigid, or something with a little give, to contour the rung?

Edit:
Pssst, Ship, I read about your "shocking" boot encounter from a couple years ago. How about some static dissipative boots?

Last edited:
Charlie, you need to read a little more.
They are rigid and flat on the bottom, but the heel support is molded in.
My podiatrist approves of them(he's one of the best in this part of the state).
Superior Slip Resistant SSRT Abrasion Resistant Diamond Black Sole
Excellent for Chemicals, Traction, and Comfort on Concrete
ANSI Z41 PT99 M I/75 C/75 Composite Toe EH
Electrical Hazard Protection against open circuits of 600 volts or less under dry conditions.

Back to tool topic: sobensen, steveb, and others, have made good points regarding what is expected depending on where one is working. Generally, Mandatory tool lists are laughable, but Suggested tool lists, (venue specific), are helpful. Exceeding the minimum requirements is usually never a bad thing, with the understanding that doing so is "at your own risk." I, personally, prefer using my own tools, and feel uncomfortable asking to borrow a tool from either a fellow crewmember or venue management. And since my venue is not particularly well-equipped; if I, or others, don't bring it, we won't have it. Does everyone need to carry a DMX analyzer/generator? No, but I've been glad to have mine on many occasions. For those touring or working in ballrooms and other non-theatre spaces, a fully-stocked work box is absolutely essential, as ship, len, JD, and others can attest. A touring Electrics Crew Chief/Master Electrician should have all the tools and parts required to fix anything in his rig, or hire assistants who do!

Er, sorry Phil.

However, in fact, I did not know polyurethane was a water proofer. (The shop class at my school is only offered in 3rd through 6th grades.) Also, going from the link you provided, it makes no mention of the ankle support, or rigidity of the sole.

Last edited:
So the start of a new year is a perfect time for organization. I took everything out of my bag, laid it all out in a somewhat logical fashion, and took a picture. Then made an inventory list with costs for insurance purposes, and out of my own curiosity. The list follows the picture starting at the top right corner.
ToolBagInv.jpg

Note the picture nor the list includes certain specific tools for specialized tasks. My Fluke 336 and MicroTechDMX won't fit in the bag. When I'm programming, I have a separate bag containing my keyboard, trackball, Littlelite, disks, reference materials, etc. My "SpotOpBag" contains SpotDot, gloves, brads, SuperTrouper lamphouse Key, etc. MacBook, wirelss cell modem, and iPod in different category.

PDF of the Inventory List is below. (Constructive:)) Comments welcomed!

Attachments

• ToolBagInv.pdf
    35.1 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back