derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
Here's a very comprehensive list, compiled by ship in 2002-03, primarily for electrical tools (with pictures!).

Here's a list from IATSE local 33.

Anyone else have any lists to share?

EDIT: Since the IA list is member only now, here's an internet archive of that list.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Maglite
My Leatherman
My Gloves
My 6" Bahco
My 8" adjustable Ratchett Crescent (New christmas present)
My circuit tester.
1 roll gaffer
1 roll insulating tape (black)

The remainder of my tools sit in my toolbox in my car until I need them.

Haven't we discussed this one a hundred times.

There is also a soldering iron, solder sucker and many jeweler's screwdrivers in there.
proxy.php

I normally have a couple of other things hanging around in addition to those already mentioned. Whether or not they are tools, or deserve to be in a tool kit is probably debatable (but then one of the links above mentioned bringing a map so...)
Selection of coloured tapes, for spike marks and colour coding equipment,
My 'quad' four way ratchet spanner, which deals with most common bolts without the need for adjustment like AJ's.
Also I've now swapped out my maglite, in favour of a smaller LED torch. My LED torch has more punch than a maglite, batteries last longer, and its smaller, basically all round more suited for my purposes.

I have a funny feeling that I might end up asking for most of my birthday presents based on that list from ship.

I took my tool bag home from school today, after working alone for 3 hours. (Copying stuff down is like purgatory.) :(
Anyways I took some quick snapshots of what I keep in the bag. Here are the pictures, sans bag, everything neatly laid out on the floor.
Edit:
Note the small black klein bag bottom left holds random items, etc. Such as RCA adaptors, small carabiners, bits of tieline, etc.
Double Edit:
The multitool, best seen in picture 3, is my loaner. I keep my normal one on the ol' belt.

Last edited:
Great start you've got there, Charc. Only things I see missing are: a good crimper, DMM/Amp-probe, and working Volt-Tick™ (see other threads). And maybe a Putz or Lightspeed wrench or 5/8" x 3/4" speed wrench. What's the red thing sticking out of the pouch between the gloves and the strippers?

I've inspired myself to clean out my bag and inventory its contents, will post as soon as I get a chance.

What the heck are you doing with a Wonder Bar® in a school theatre?
(no wait, I don't want to know)

Oh you should see the arsenal I used to cary in the back of my wagon. Pipe wrenches, 18v reciprocating saw, mallets, enough rope and cord to strangle all my class mates, wonder bar, extension cords, etc etc etc...wish I had pictures of how I used to strap everything down, it was quite a procedure -- us high schools folks sometimes get a little tool happy.

Mind you this is the mini sized wonder bar, fellas, and in a theatre as broken as mine always seems to be, the uses are endless. Most recently... dealing with a 1KL6...

Edit:

To Derek,

The red thing is a gamchek. I do have a lightspeed on the list. However, it's on the bottom of the list, I have yet to find a situation where I'd really need one, over the standard c-wrench. Crimper, as you know, I'm looking into that. DMM, not sure on the specifics of what I should get. I could swear my voltage sniffing pen works fine.

Here's what I suggest to my freelancers working electrics calls:

- 8" Crescent wrench
- Litespeed wrench
- Leatherman Wave or (my preference) Victorinox Champ Swiss Army knife
- Maglite - 2AA LED version highly recommended
- Gloves
- 4 Way combo screwdriver
- 25ft. tape measure
- Sharpies ad mechanical pencils
- Pouch to carry it in

Here's what I suggest to my freelancers working electrics calls:

- 8" Crescent wrench
- Litespeed wrench
- Leatherman Wave or (my preference) Victorinox Champ Swiss Army knife
- Maglite - 2AA LED version highly recommended
- Gloves
- 4 Way combo screwdriver
- 25ft. tape measure
- Sharpies ad mechanical pencils
- Pouch to carry it in
SteveB, my toolbag meets or exceeds all your requirements except:

- I use a 6" WideJaw (for cheeseboroughs) Crescent™ wrench.
- I use a 5/8" x 3/4" Craftsman™ ratcheting box wrench, Lightspeed and Putz wrenches are too expensive.
- I'm a Gerber Multi-tool man.

So I bombed on the first three items, would you send me home if I showed up on a call?

Last edited:
So it seems that a lot of people are calling a speed wrench a necessity for electrics calls. What specifically is so great about them? Do they really save that much time, over a traditional c-wrench?

Well, Charc, when hanging any fixture with a C-Clamp, how many times do you have to remove your adjustable wrench and reposition it to further tighten the 1/2" square bolt head? Have you ever had that bolt get rusty/gummed up so that you can't turn it by hand? A speed wrench is not an absolute necessity, but the Craftsman 5/8 x 3/4 in. Wrench, Ratcheting Box is $7.99, and if it breaks take it to any Sears store for an immediate replacement. Also seems to me to separate those who are serious from those who just want to meet the minimum. YMMV.

Well, Charc, when hanging any fixture with a C-Clamp, how many times do you have to remove your adjustable wrench and reposition it to further tighten the 1/2" square bolt head? Have you ever had that bolt get rusty/gummed up so that you can't turn it by hand? A speed wrench is not an absolute necessity, but the Craftsman 5/8 x 3/4 in. Wrench, Ratcheting Box is $7.99, and if it breaks take it to any Sears store for an immediate replacement. Also seems to me to separate those who are serious from those who just want to meet the minimum. YMMV.

I have to disagree with you here.

I've yet to find the need for a speed wrench. I don't own one. Once a clamp is finger tight, it usually only takes one or two "positions" to clamp the light. To loosen, it only takes one.

And, you're still going to need a wrench. Scaff clamps (Cheesboroughs), stuck wing nuts, and the occasional "other" pieces of hardware all need something adjustable. If you feel the need to carry 12lbs of tools on you, more power to you. But, I've yet to see any electrician work faster, or be "more serious" because of a "speed" wrench.

Charc, an 8" adjustable ("Crescent") wrench will serve you very well.

--Sean

Okay, to each his own. I admit to not always carrying my speed wrench on my person, unless I know I'll be hanging many conventionals. I've hung entire shows where there hasn't been a C-Clamp in sight. Even the S4s had MegaClaws on them.

Here's a list from IATSE local 33.

So many IA guys, so many hammers and pry bars (SCARY)... I expect everyone who shows up to a call to have a crescent wrench and a multi tool, as well as gloves. A tape measure it also a good bonus. I have two different sides to this whole thing. If you are working in a scene shop, you need all marking tools and some measuring tools, the smaller variety of them :Speed square, 25' tape, etc. You should not have to bring in your own framing square etc. PPE should be REPLACED by the shop, buy you have to buy your first ones. Same thing goes for anything you use in the shop, if you bring in your own chalk line, they should provide you chalk, same thing for dikes etc. If you wear it out at the job, they should replace it.

When working calls on the other hand, I usually bring in most of my own tools, however same rules apply. I bring in my own stuff to do most things, but I do not bring in specialty tools.

My major rule is, if it does not fit into one of my bucket boss bags, I don't take it in. It should not be your personal responsibility to buy everything you need to do the job, you need the basics but the rest should be provided for you.

I was told to report to work with a c-wrench and a measuring tape. Seems like an odd combo, because certain days I'll be in the shop, and other days I'll be working electrics.

Edit:
And of course, closed-toed shows, for all tech work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back