I've got a pair of custom ear plugs headed my way...can't wait to get 'em and try them out at a gig - or with an annoying friend...

Oh, yes I realize that. I just thought they'd have tape measurers, I guess that was the thing that stuck out in my mind. I mean, I guess if I were in charge, I'd want to be the one with the measuring equipment, to make sure it was accurate. Maybe that only makes sense to me? :neutral:
Sorry I have been away for a bit. You would be surprised how many tape measures get cut or bent when someone has laid out a piece of wood with their tape measure on the board, and brought down the chop saw.
derekleffew makes a good point on brining tools and not borrowing, and having that 1 piece of equipment that is not on site when it counts is great; but starting in High school, almost 20 years ago, through college, summer rep, to working on Broadway, all I ever needed was a c-wrench. I started like you bringing bags of tools with me, and some would walk away, or get lost. So over the years I pared down, and riding the subways in New York, I did not want to lug 50lbs of tools. So in my backpack was a c-wrench, flashlight, multitool, and a sharpie. Now as I work as TD in a road house, I carry with me a c-wrench, flashlight, multitool, a sharpie (all which I carry in my Ripoff CO-44 http://www.ripoffs.com/datasheets/co44/co44.html), and because I am TD a clipboard and pen. Anything else that is needed is either in the carp box onstage or 50' away in the shop.

You guys list all these tools you need for your job... I have a 500+ pound work box filled with tools and stuff and the most important tool in there is a can of black spray paint... cause if it's broke paint it black... then no one will notice it. :)

Yeah don't try that. It gets you in trouble... some people have no sense of humor. I guess I could inventory my box but most of the stuff in there is not necessary unless your touring or think your cool like I do. :)

Maybe I'll inventory it one of these days for all to enjoy. But it seems like you guys have covered all the basics. 2 8" C Wrenches are good to have along with speed wrenches. a 10 in 1 screw driver can also come in handy. Stage Pin Splitter is good for theater techs. tick tracer can help out and a DMM. Unless your getting into fixing cable or repairing moving lights you don't need much to get the job done.

There is so much mention of insane amounts of tools (500lbs?!), my little self imposed rule is that all tools I take with me have to fit neatly into my toolbag. I just need to swap in/out whatever I'll need.

I try and carry multiples when I'm working at the Kent State theater, because almost everyone forgets their c-wrench, and if you have forgetful followspots, a loaner pair of gloves is good. My girlfriend has usurped my backup gerber suspension and my backup mechanix gloves.

so here we go (I'm a flashlight +knife fan)
total inventory:

Surefire 6pd (that's the closest I can get to describing it, it has so much aftermarket stuff it's my baby)
inova x5
backup lithium batteries for these

one slide wrench 8"
one 8" C wrench

one 'jesus' wrench (never really need it)
Sog powerlock
1 blackdiamond vaporware biner
48" spectra
1 petzl rescue pulley
1 Petzl auto-locking biner
GB Voltcheck (built-in sniffer)

Spyderco delica 4 full serrated :)
Spyderco Tasman Plain edge
(I have 5 or 6 knives that get swapped in and out...)
random carabiners...around 20 ft of paracord 550

Mechanix impact pros +Setwear hothands

Various screwdrivers (about to be condensed into a multi-bit ratcheting type soon.)

Klein stripper/cutter

But this is like...EVERYTHING.

what I would (just did) take with me on a gig outside of the theater with a tour:
SOG powerlock
Klein strippers (backpack)
8" slide wrench
Voltchek (remained hidden in the backpack the whole time)
Surefire 6pd (I'll go into it if someone's interested)
Inova x5 (backpack)
backup lithiums
Kershaw leek 1660ckt

I have coming (now since I read this thread):
the craftsman rachet wrench...Crimpers...Cutters (the big ones)...pin splitter...I have various holsters etc and would like to consolidate down into one or two so I'm looking at the aforementioned ripoffs holster.

ALMOST FORGOT THE BEST investment one can make: Dr. Martens airwair steeltoe. Not a true safety boot, but isolates up to 14KV, due to that fact that it doesn't have the steel in the sole, the rubber is a little soft for my taste but these things have saved my toes about 5 times in 3 months.
For someone not looking to invest that much in shoes (cue youtube video) I recommend Mack steeltoes (target 40$.)

Phil
PS If anyone wants to know more about flashlights etc check out candlepowerforums.com or just PM me

Last edited:
Hmm......this talk of lights reminded me that I still haven't found a suitable holster for my Inova Radiant 2AA flashlight.
The squared off body makes it difficult to find a holster.
I just e-mailed Rip-Offs, so we'll see.

As I do primarily lighting, I generally show for work with just what I carry on my belt:

-Victorinox Swiss Army Tool
-Blackhawk MOD XSF folding knife (sharper and easier to use than a multi-tool)
-My c-wrench, with a wrapped paracord grip / safety line
-SureFire 6R/KL-5 LED flashlight
-My work gloves

All of my TD / LD stuff I carry around in a SwissTech folio I got a while ago - very handy!

Clark

As I do primarily lighting, I generally show for work with just what I carry on my belt:
-Victorinox Swiss Army Tool
-Blackhawk MOD XSF folding knife (sharper and easier to use than a multi-tool)
-My c-wrench, with a wrapped paracord grip / safety line
-SureFire 6R/KL-5 LED flashlight
-My work gloves
All of my TD / LD stuff I carry around in a SwissTech folio I got a while ago - very handy!
Clark

Are you referring to Swiss Gear? I'm not familiar with a SwissTech brand. Link, perhaps?

I'm also not familiar with the 6R. I'm guessing the R denotes rechargeable? Is this correct?

Sweet, I got a response.
They suggest a CO-31.
http://www.ripoffs.com/datasheets/co31/co31.html
Got paid and ordered one from National Police Supply.
proxy.php

What's inside your toolkit!

I might ask the company I work for my first toolkit.

Other than the basic tools ( screw drivers, ect.. ) what should I put in it? Is there any instruments I should get?

Re: What's inside your toolkit!

What is your job, and what sort of tools would somebody performing that job likely use? We don't often use a table saw to bench focus lighting instruments.:grin:

I might ask the company I work for my first toolkit.
Other than the basic tools (screw drivers, etc.) what should I put in it? Are there any instruments I should get?
Nope. Not gonna start this topic all over again. Thus the above post has been moved here, and am "sticky-ing" this thread. Does anyone want to start a Collaborative Article for extra credit?

See also this thread: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/get-organized/8766-workboxes.html?highlight=workbox.

Last edited:

I am a Production Manager. My "tools" would include a phone with voicemail, cell phone / PDA, computer with internet access, a desk to clutter up with all of my junk, Microsoft Office, a good calendar program, exceptional organizational skills and people skills.

When I am doing sound engineering work my tools bag includes: headphones, various audio adapters, audio tester, tone generator, 4 way screwdriver, micro screwdriver set, soldering iron and solder, multi-tool, LED flashlight, ear plugs, wire strippers, small plier set, and adjustable end wrench. I also have my own assortment of favorite microphones and playback units (CD player, minidisc player, and CD recorder, effects units, gates, and compressors mounted in a rack with appropriate cables so I know I at least have some sort of base line to work with, no matter what gear the venue or group I am working for has in stock. I also have a good variety of royalty free sound effects in my CD collection for doing sound designs.

~Dave

I do a lot of voice/data cabling work, so my main tool bag has Klein everything...different testers, staple gun, drywall saw, special tools of the trade. My sound bag has all kinds of stuff...Weller soldering iron, Klein strippers, cutters, screwdrivers, cable tester, multimeter.
I always carry my Mini-Maglite and Leatherman and I also have a Kershaw Leek knife.

Whats in your toolbox

What do you carry in your normal toolkit?

Here is my toolbox
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2486604.jpg
    2486604.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 378
Re: Whats in your toolbox

What do you carry in your normal toolkit?

Here is my toolbox
attachment.php

I'd be adding a second shifter for when you need to tighten a nut and bolt and need a spanner on each side.
Depending on what you get up to with that tool kit, I'd be expecting a modular plug crimper to go with the (cheap) punchdown tool.
And please don't expect me to terminate cable with that sort of knife, unless you by some miracle have a sharp and stable one of those. Sorry, but it's a pet hate. I've been in a situation where I needed to terminate Cat 5s for an Aviom system and had the full touring draws case of our of our better systems engineers at hand and could not find a knife sharp enough to strip Cat 5 nicely. Take note.
I'd also be adding a bigger pair of side cutters to cut cable, but again depends on what you intend to use the toolbox for...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back