Toslink Switcher

We were looking into running duel Qlab machines and wanted an easy way to get audio into the console. Normally we use Toslink for the 16 channels, running two into the desk takes up inputs quickly. Sadly the M7 doesn't have a quick and easy patch swap button. We started looking into Toslink switchers like so (Hosa ODS330 | Sweetwater.com) but these are no longer in production. Any one know of a 4x2 with a single switch or something DIY I could put together?

Without cracking open the box I can't say for certain what's going on in it, but in my limited experience working with optical circuits the switch is a switch, doesn't matter of it's Pro ADAT or consumer TOSLINK, this switcher: Amazon.com: Nyrius SW100 Digital Audio Optical Toslink 3 Input Selector Switch Compatible with Fiber Optic Cables, HDTV, Blu-ray DVD player, PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, XBOX360, PS3: Electronics should probably work. While it won't be the best product judging by the reviews, $20 is easy enough to spend before plunging the $1k on the other suggestion. Also, I might be wary with this $20 switch being the weak link in my chain!

That being said, most every tour I have seen that runs dual QLab setups have analog switchers to physically switch 16+ channels at once. I haven't seen any switching using digital converters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back