Total newbie looking for some answers

EIZOZ

Hi everyone,

i'm totally new at all this DMX, lighting etc.. but i'm looking to learn enough to be able to set up my own fun lighting at home.

i've been searching various forums and website with not much luck in what i'm exactly looking for.

basically i'd like to find fairly cheap DMX RGB LED's, controller and software to set the mood in my living room and bedrooms. i've found Sunlite software which looks a bit too much for what i really need, but it has the brilliant touch panel which could be really cool to have. so if anyone had any alternatives i would appreciate the info.

apart from that i'm a little mixed up with all this talking about dimmers and controllers and the likes. they just confuse me. do i NEED to have dimmers connected to the array of DMX lights or is it one per "LED buld" or how does that work? and how do you connect the whole thing together? :S

basically what i want to do is have some RGB lights in the living room and bedrooms so i can set moods with the touch of a button, you know.. movie time, party time, romantic time.. etc..

any info would be greatly appreciated and the cheaper the hardware/software the better :) no need for super fancy stuff..

also if the lights could have the option of sound would be great for when party mode.

i hope i've explained myself well enough as i'm a little confused about all this myself hehehe

waiting for all you useful responses!

thanks

eizoz

you don't need dimmers with LEDs.

i would say you need...

a computer

lighting software (DMX lighting control software)

a USB to DMX interface (ENTTEC - Lighting Control,RDM,DMX USB PRO)

LED lights (duh)

something to hang the lights on (double duh)

safe grounded outlets to plug the lights into

DMX cable...starting at the interface and daisy chained from one light to the next

set up some looks in the software, and it's sexxy time or elegant dinner party time in no time

ok.. that's kind of what i've been figuring out in the past day or so reading through posts and stuff.. one of the problems is finding RGB LED's with DMX that are not HUGE. idieally would be to be able to flush them onto the flooring or cieling so if anyone knows where they might sell them (and hopefully ships everywhere in the world) that would really help :)

thanks for the info guys

*edit*
i've found these http://www.eyeleds.com/led-products/coloreye-programmable/ but i'm not sure how they'd connect to a DMX system and cannot seem to find them anywhere online (to check prices etc..) and also not sure how they get power either as the diagram is very confusing.. looks like you need alot of different cables and power untis for each LED or something.. anyone understands this a little better and can explain? thnx :D

Last edited:
Talk to BillESC, he is the forums big LED Guru. He should be able to set you up and even sell you exactly what you need with ease.

The eyeleds are probably extremely expensive and use a proprietary (non-DMX) protocol. Though pretty, they're something I doubt you would want to mess with.

Hi everyone,

i'm totally new at all this DMX, lighting etc.. but i'm looking to learn enough to be able to set up my own fun lighting at home.

eizoz

Be aware that most theatrical lighting products are not rated for residential use, and carry large tags to that effect.

Yes, you'll be able to plug them in at home and use them, but should anything go wrong the odds are your home/renters insurance will not cover you and suing the manufacturer won't get you very far either.

The reasons for this are many, ranging from the heat output of theatrical fixtures (even LEDs get hot) as well as current draw and duty cycle. I've been doing entertainment lighting and electricity for 20+ years now and would not permanently install commercial equipment in my house. (A temporary setup for Halloween is probable.)

Last edited:
Theatre LED PARs are made for theatre, hence why most are big and bulky, why not consider some "Architectural" stuff? If you want to make your house look realy cool maybe consider this from ThinkGeek? May not give you as much power but you don't have to use DMX, as it can be messy. Trust me.
Here are some action shots of the LED lightbulb, it fits inside your normal E27 lightbulb socket.
proxy.php

proxy.php

I have never used these but I'm seriously considering getting some just for my room. Cuz I'm a nerd!
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back