Touch Screens for new Gio @5?

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
Hi, I'm buying a new console soon and it looks like it's going to be a GIO @5. I've been trying to find info on the ETC website about which external touch screens I should buy. There are a couple of different pages with touch screen specifications and compatibility on the ETC site. But the lists are out of date, none of them mention the existence of GIO @5 and "Windows 7 Compatible" seems to be the height of technology. This page has a pretty good list of specifications to check off in shopping for a screen, but it's still a couple of years out of date. I'm assuming this means that pretty much any recent model touch screen from a major manufacturer will be fine, but I don't like to guess.

So, what touch screen are you using?

There is an official ETC screen but it's quite expensive. Is it worth it? Are there any functional differences?

Also anyone have any thoughts on size of the touch screen? Is bigger better or is it better to keep the external screen similar in size to the 18.5" screen built into the console?

There's not really any restrictions these days. A lot of people like the Dell P2418's with the fancy lie-flat stands. I'd recommend getting something with a native displayport input so you don't need to deal with adaptors that like to fail.

I'd recommend a 22-24" screen if you're targetting 1920x1080, it's a good pixel density. I'm actually not sure if the @5 supports higher resolutions or not.

I would recommend looking into VESA mountable monitors and some nicer articulating arms if you don't buy into the Dell stands, to allow you to rotate/position the monitors easily and free up desk space.

There's not really any restrictions these days. A lot of people like the Dell P2418's with the fancy lie-flat stands. I'd recommend getting something with a native displayport input so you don't need to deal with adaptors that like to fail.

I'd recommend a 22-24" screen if you're targetting 1920x1080, it's a good pixel density. I'm actually not sure if the @5 supports higher resolutions or not.

I would recommend looking into VESA mountable monitors and some nicer articulating arms if you don't buy into the Dell stands, to allow you to rotate/position the monitors easily and free up desk space.

Thanks! I already have an articulating arm on the desk so I'm ready to rock there.

I have used both the Dell P2418HT and the Dell P2314T. I think they are both great and reasonably priced - although the P2314T seems to not be available new anymore.
Some things to consider - I like the matte screen, thin bezel, and integrated power supply on the P2418HT, but the base is heavy.
The P2314T has a built in kickstand base, but the outboard power supply is a bit of an annoyance if you are moving it around. It is lighter in weight but has a distinct bezel and a glossy screen.

Both are VESA mountable.

In your situation, I'd go for the 2418HT.

-Todd

Thanks!
I have used both the Dell P2418HT and the Dell P2314T. I think they are both great and reasonably priced - although the P2314T seems to not be available new anymore.
Some things to consider - I like the matte screen, thin bezel, and integrated power supply on the P2418HT, but the base is heavy.
The P2314T has a built in kickstand base, but the outboard power supply is a bit of an annoyance if you are moving it around. It is lighter in weight but has a distinct bezel and a glossy screen.

Both are VESA mountable.

In your situation, I'd go for the 2418HT.

-Todd
Thanks, Yeah I noticed that the P2314T doesn't seem to be on Dell's site.

One install I did has the P2314T and the other has the 2418HT.

I find the 2418HT to be MUCH prefered over the 2314T. It is a matte finish and has a fully articulating arm/base. I work mostly with the 2314T and do not like them. at all.

I find the 2418HT to be MUCH prefered over the 2314T. It is a matte finish and has a fully articulating arm/base. I work mostly with the 2314T and do not like them. at all.
Thanks Bob!

Hi, I'm buying a new console soon and it looks like it's going to be a GIO @5. I've been trying to find info on the ETC website about which external touch screens I should buy. There are a couple of different pages with touch screen specifications and compatibility on the ETC site. But the lists are out of date, none of them mention the existence of GIO @5 and "Windows 7 Compatible" seems to be the height of technology. This page has a pretty good list of specifications to check off in shopping for a screen, but it's still a couple of years out of date. I'm assuming this means that pretty much any recent model touch screen from a major manufacturer will be fine, but I don't like to guess.

So, what touch screen are you using?

There is an official ETC screen but it's quite expensive. Is it worth it? Are there any functional differences?

Also anyone have any thoughts on size of the touch screen? Is bigger better or is it better to keep the external screen similar in size to the 18.5" screen built into the console?
You'll love the Gio@5. I have access to one in one of the venues I work in regularly. However, it does need another screen. Similar to others on this thread, I recommend the Dell P2418HT. I have just added it to my Nomad system as a result of recommendations on another forum. It's very responsive, great size, and the stand that allows you to operate it as a flat console is great. Unfortunately it arrived too late to use on a real gig but it works great in my attic!!!

Last edited:

This seems to be the most popular screen with MA2 and Chamsys users. It's about the only Matte finish touch screen on the market. Musch better viewing angles without reflection.

Since the 2418HT has been discontinued is there a new favorite monitor? We need to replace one that “something” happened to over the summer… 🙄🙄🙄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back