Tour Lighing System

Hey all,

So we're working on a lighting system for a small performing arts tour. There are 6 performers and 1 tech (as of now). The group plays in mostly churches with a few schools, gyms, community events and the program includes music, dance, and drama.

Here's the list:
4 ADJ LED par (White) - stage wash
8 Wiedamark LED par (color) - stage wash/fx
1 Xciter DMX controller
2 Ultimate TS-99 BL Tripods
2 Ultimate LTB-48B Crossbars
10 2' Hosa DMX Cables
2 50' Hosa DMX Cables
Power Cables

I'd like to add 2 MX-10 Extreme Scanners, but budget won't allow it right now.

Comments? Questions? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Derrick

The set up is pretty basic. there will be 2 ADJ and 2 Wiedamark cans per tree and 4 Wiedamark cans onstage shining on the backdrop to create washes and add a splash of color. The backdrop is a 10' wide 2' deep curve of spandex triangles with 2 4'x8' black pannels on either side. We currently are using 8 par 38 cans with full on/off only onstage (no stage wash) and until we get the scanners we have 2 ADJ roto pods for effects. The scanners will be used for effects, but also to spot during the drama, and when there is a soloist only onstage.

Last edited:
I guess that the Scanners would offer some more dynamics to the performance along with the LED Pars but that really depends on the budget and on the desired performance...

Unless you get the scanners, you should choose a manual controller instead of an intelligent controller, like the ETC Smartfade.

Cheaper scanner that you might want to consider:
http://www.bulbamerica.com/products/4123

It's about $1K less, but has plenty of features. I've seen these used on a few smaller shows with great effect.

Or, you can get still-in-box high-end Trackspots for under $1K from lightbroker.com

Some moving lights would probably really add to this setup that you have.

It's not the touring version of Dream Girls, but considering you have no idea what the power systems will be like in places you go and considering you are on a small budget, looks like a pretty wise use of your money to me.

One other thought is if you can pick up some used gear at http://www.solarisnetwork.com

ETC is about to release a new console - called the Smart fade ML.

All the ease of Smartfade and pallette style of control for moving lights.

See it at USITT in Phoenix or talk to a ETC dealer near you.

Might be the best of both worlds. Allow for the manual control now and moving light control in the future.

Jeff

WOW!!! AWESOME!!!

When will the specs be on the ETC website?

I just heard the same thing from a friend who is an ETC dealer. He said there aren't any specs out yet, he thought we would know more in a week or two.

Nice - I don't know how long it'll be before we make the purchase, but it looks good.

gafftaper - That's one of the reasons I chose LED. I've toured with a couple groups that have used 5 conv. frenels per tree and up to 6 onstage and we've had to find 7-8 open 20 amp circuits (in a church!) It's not a whole lot of fun and really adds time to set-up (especially if it is an old church).

That's one of the reasons I chose LED. I've toured with a couple groups that have used 5 conv. frenels per tree and up to 6 onstage and we've had to find 7-8 open 20 amp circuits (in a church!) It's not a whole lot of fun and really adds time to set-up (especially if it is an old church).

Exactly. Nobody in a church knows where each individual circuit is.

My only concern is that the setup you are describing might be a little low on lumen output. It's a nice LED configuration but you still aren't going to get the power of a real PAR... at least not for a few more years. A lot of people have talked about the Weidamarks from that shoot out thread over on pro sound web. I'm assuming you've read it but just in case there it is.

Although the article clearly shows that the Weidamark is kicking butt over the other low end LED's, I found these numbers rather dissappointing:
"The ADJ [Par64 led] was the least bright, but was the widest, so that was to be expected. It measured 85 lux / 7.5 fc... The Wiedamark can was the brightest measuring 199 lux / 18.5 fc. In comparison, the [6"] Fresnel measured 4370 lux / 415 fc (Not sure what beam spread the fixture was set at) And the S4 [par] can with narrow [lens] measured 16550 lux / 1534 fc!"

That's a big difference between the LED's output and a 6" fresnel, and a MONSTEROUS difference compared to an S4 Par.

Yeah it'll be a lot easier but it won't be nearly as bright. Someday, when they are using 10 Watt LED's it'll be great but for now, it's still pretty weak lumen output. You might want to think about using some incandescents for the white light and keep the LED's for your colors.

Last edited:
yeah - we'll demo them before we buy them to make a decision. As for finding circuits - just gotta take out the good ol' circuit tracker and walkie talkies. :)
Circuit tracker! I stick two paper clips in the socket and lick them, it's the easy way to determine which breaker you are on.

That was a joke kids. Don't try it at home.

Yeah I think a demo is a really good idea. The only LED's I haven't been completely disappointed in are the Selador 3 Watt units... but they cost thousands of bucks.

You have to take gel color in to consideration. The good saturated gel colors like the LED's produce have transmittancies below 20 percent. But I'd still stack a two or four more Wiedamark cans on that rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back