Touring Questions

As far as education goes, if you feel like you're getting good training and a lot of hands on experience where you're at, don't bother yourself about transfering. It's not really the reputation of the school that matters, it's the knowledge you get out of it, and what you do with that knowledge that counts. Have you looked at backstagejobs.com? that may be a good place to start looking for summer gigs, plus it gives you an idea of what's out there and what people are looking for. Also, I know of a few theatre conferences such as SETC and USITT where a lot of hiring for summer possitions takes place. You may want to ask your professors if they know of anything like that for the northeastern area. But that is mainly for theatre, not so much for concerts.

At this point in your carreer, any job or internship position you get will be great as a learning experience and it'll give you something to start adding to your resume! I would suggest applying for electrician jobs- while you may not get the opportunity to design, it will still be great experience to implement someone else's design. And if it's known that you are interested in design, it's possible you may get a chance to do some of that as they see you pulling your weight :)

As has been suggested before, getting a job in a shop that preps shows for tours or even a place that provides equipment for summer music festivals would be a great place for you if you want to explore the concert side of things.

As far as the BA/BFA/ Masters questions go... I think there is a whole thread on that subject recently!

Good luck on your paper!

One other piece of advice that I got a few years ago, but never did, but I am sure it would work. When you get that "shop job" try to get into the position of driving the delivery truck/van/bicycle/moped/segway... You might have to get your CDL to do so, but thats not a bad thing to have anyway. This will get you into the venues, and in touch with the people that actually are doing the doings. Its just one thing to think about.

One other piece of advice that I got a few years ago, but never did, but I am sure it would work. When you get that "shop job" try to get into the position of driving the delivery truck/van/bicycle/moped/segway... You might have to get your CDL to do so, but thats not a bad thing to have anyway. This will get you into the venues, and in touch with the people that actually are doing the doings. Its just one thing to think about.

Yeah, but if you have CDL, and you also do lighting. You will find that you do more driving that lighting. For some reason (or another) no one has a drivers license.

Matt McCormick
www.cablepick.com

As far as women in the industry, When I was working with the All American Rejects, I had a very awesome chick who knew her stuff in charge of me. After I left the tour, she picked up another girl who was the ME for the entire arena run. So its not to say that women don't get the jobs, because they do. I think its just not enough women want to get into the field.

thank you again every one! i appreciate this so much

keep up the replies! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back