Touring with Fixtures

So nobody uses pre-hung anymore? (pic from 1983) All the lights were mounted on raceways inside the truss. For transport, the raceways lifted in. For show, the lowered down. each position locked with safeties. Plug in 4 VEAMS, and a 40 foot truss was up and running. (Not visible in shot, but yes, there are 1/8 cable safeties on each fixture)

EDIT:
Trusses were designed to stack 3 high in truck with lights inside, wheels indented and fit into each section.

Prerig is still popular for getting 60K upstage and 60K downstage but I have seen some mover prerig to http://www.jthomaseng.com/mltruss.htm I prefer working with swing wing though, often time getting the lights to lower correctly is a pain and can require calling over 'knuckles' to hope around on them. The disadvantage to swing wing is the cables are not protect as well so when the top section is getting lowered on it can pinch cables.

Square tubing, was that back in the day of garage built truss?

Last edited:
get a more industrial genny, since the one we had last year kind of sucked for various reasons.
You want diesel, a Whisperwatt of some kind would be ideal.
proxy.php

Well, since diesel is no longer cheaper than unleaded last time I looked, what makes diesel better? Are there industrial generators that run on unleaded gasoline?

Just FYI- I have no purchasing power. Most of this is to satisfy my own interest.

Square tubing, was that back in the day of garage built truss?

If I recall, I purchased these from the old BML lighting in NJ. They had about 40 tours out with the stuff, you could drive a truck on it! The 80's were in some ways still the stone age of lighting. I don't think any of the aforementioned trussing companies even existed yet. ;) Good stuff though. Had that set for about 10 years before a bad back drove me out of touring.

I could have sworn that I posted a drawing of a meat rack on here a while back but I can't seem to find it. I'll search my archives later on. We used to use two different types of meat rack. One was for transporting conventionals, the other transported 4-bars and 6 bars. The cool thing about the meat rack for these guys was that it was laid out in such a manner as to accept any length of bar, without having to re-configure the arms.

What was that other stuff called? Captive truss? Made by Thomas? Had wheels built in, accepted the 4-bars, then they just slid up into it. You could line up 3 in a row, scouch them together so that thier wheels caught on each other then tilt the whole thing over Viola' instant stack of three high truss, perfect fit for the back of the semi.
Loved that stuff when using it, hated prepping it.

Van, I believe you're referring to PRT, Pre-Rigged Truss. Still around with 6-lamp bars of PAR64 or S4-PARs. 26"H (not including casters, 30" W, and 8' Long. Doesn't work well for theatre, as Lekos are too long to fit. I agree with the above that Swing Wing is the best, based on Morpheus Flip Box Truss. PRG's version is okay, but I don't like having the stanchions loose.

Last edited:
FWIW, my recollection of all the pre-hung, meat rack, square truss dance tower stuff was it was all invented by Production Arts, with our very own Steve Terry one of the prime designers and inventors (if not the primary creator).

Lot's of this stuff was designed (if memory serves) specifically for the Bus and Truck Broadway show market - the production company whose name escapes me, as a major move to make the multi-day load-ins of such tours happen in 8 hrs.

Thus you got multi-cables, 6 lamps pre-hung on a Kindorf bar with Clancy clamps, single and double width, stack-able pre-hung vertical dance lighting towers, etc...

I seem to remember that this stuff was a bit earlier then the Thomas style, 6 lamp, pre-hung Par bar.

Steve B.

Can I pick on your spell checker again Van huh Can I please.

... Viola' instant stack of three high truss, perfect fit for the back of the semi.
Loved that stuff when using it, hated prepping it.

So the musical instrument created an instant stack of three high truss. "Voila"

You know I'm being a bit picky aren't I.

The answer is: it depends.

If you're doing venues with no fly system you'll be bringing your own truss, motors, rigging, etc. That means that most fixtures can't ride on the truss, unless you get pre-rig. So everything should be in its case, which means more assembly and strike times.

Cases are/should be designed to fit snugly across a 99" wide semi-trailer. They'll be either 1/4 pack (4 across), 1/3 pack (3 across) or 1/2 pack. But a box truck could be a little smaller so that could present a problem.

If you're hanging stuff on the theater pipes, then most tours that plan for that will just get 6' pieces of unistrut and assemble all the instruments on to that, and attach all the cable, safeties, etc., to each 6' section. Then those are hung in meat racks and ride in the truck that way.

Make sure you have plenty of load straps that are rated. The typical hardware store ratchet strap isn't DOT rated, and will fail at the only time you need it not to.

If you're renting stuff, the rental house should be able to help you with all this as well. They're just as interested as everything coming back in one piece as you are.

Pre-rig doubled par bar truss is still out there, and it is soooo cheap to rent. I have seen it used a few times in theatre, but usually for a show that requires that look, its kinda hard to hide that stuff. Swing truss is by far the best, and fastest out there. Oh.. and heres a meat rack drawing that I had around... Now.. off to bed... have a 8am in tomorrow 2 hours away....

Attachments

• meat rack.pdf
    2.5 KB · Views: 298
So nobody uses pre-hung anymore? (pic from 1983) All the lights were mounted on raceways inside the truss. For transport, the raceways lifted in. For show, the lowered down. each position locked with safeties. Plug in 4 VEAMS, and a 40 foot truss was up and running. (Not visible in shot, but yes, there are 1/8 cable safeties on each fixture)
(End of (long) night shot, USA network "Hot Spots" show)
EDIT:
Trusses were designed to stack 3 high in truck with lights inside, wheels indented and fit into each section.

Pre-rig with pars is pretty rock and roll. We usually see double hung. It's fun stacking those 20.5" box truss 4 high.

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING IS DANGEROUS AND SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED BY AMATEURS OR ANYONE WHO IS NOT INSANE:

Easy way is to tip each truss on end so that all 4 are nesting, but vertical. Pre-rig truss usually has permanent caster wheels on it. Then get a couple hands to push them over, and a couple to catch them as they come back down. Risky, but done quite often and way easier than trying to stack 4 high.

Correct soundman on the dimensions. Here's a picture of standard PRT and on the page is a PDF with all specifications. Here's Total Structures Moving Light Pre-Rig. Still not as nice as Swing Wing. Before James Thomas Engineering, in the 1970s, I believe Bob See, Bill McManus, James Moody, and ShowCo and HiLights well all building their own truss with lights that rode inside.

Last edited:
Correct soundman on the dimensions. Here's a picture of standard PRT and on the page is a PDF with all specifications. Here's Total Structures Moving Light Pre-Rig. Still not as nice as Swing Wing. Before James Thomas Engineering, in the 1970s, I believe Bob See, Bill McManus, James Moody, and ShowCo and HiLights well all building their own truss with lights that rode inside.

McManus, as in McManus the theatrical supply store (rental place too?), based outside Philly? Or is it possible there are two McManusi (Is that the plural? :mrgreen:) in theatre?

McManus Enterprises. Bill McManus. One and the same. A pioneer of rock & roll lighting, Bill passed away 01/12/2005. For many years he lit all the HBO Boxing matches, with a PAR64 based R&R system, saving HBO time and money over 2K/5K Fresnels and other "Video Lighting." He was also one of the first to have dimmers in the truss, in the same raceway the lights hung from. This is still being improved upon in products like ET's Intelligent Raceway.

Not to nit pick but most double hung prerig is 30"X26" unless its super duty than its 30"X30"

True. Although I do see some people cramming double hung S4 bars into smaller sizes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back