Town Hall controversial topics, killing the mic

techteama

Premium Member
I have an upcoming town hall with a controversial topic. I have see the website and they say the public will have 2-3 minutes to talk and have to sign up to do so. They have posted rules for signs and other policies. Of course I will be checking with the powers that be about how they want it run. What I want to know if there is a correct way to run a open mic for an event like this.
  • My guess is the Mic are hot and they don't get touched (you don't want to editorials someones speech).
  • They may say, we will cue you to turn them off.
  • They may say, 2:30 a time reminder, and at 3:00 cut it off.
I see lot of possibilities. For those of you that have ran this type of event, what is the most likely I will see.

I have always worried about a high-school student going all offensive language on the mic during a talent show, but luckily that hasn't happened. The one time it did, it was not only scripted, but approved.
I digress.
So, what should I be ready for during this town hall. And for those of you that say and relaxed peaceful evening, I thank you for your warm thoughts. BTW it is supposed to be hot that day, but we have great AC.

Thanks!

When I have spoken at events that have and observe strict public speaking time limits, they have always had a "cue"light system - like green to go, flashing yellow for last 10 seconds, and red for you're done. Two mics - alternate left and right - sometimes one is pro and one con - and the mic is (remotely) turned on when the green light is on. Unless it's broadcast and time delayed, I don't think you can assure now inappropriate language.

The chairman usually indicates when an operator is to turn off a presenter's microphone.

I've handled a state regualtory agency's public hearings for over 24 years. The Chair will usually nod to me after saying something to the effect of "thank your for your comments, but we're moving on" and the presenter keeps going on...

Speaker timers work great in this situation. One on the podium for the speaker and one at the table/where the important people sit and when the time dwindles down they can say hey you got X amount of time left.

As far as cutting off the mic you only do that if it does get out of hand and/or they tell you to cut them off. 2 or 3 mins honestly isn’t enough time to voice any opinion. You get 1 questions and maybe a rebuttal.

I agree with Tim. Those decisions should be made by someone with a higher pay grade. DSan sets the standard for speaker timers. They are fairly expensive, however.

Well, being that @techteama works on my crew, when the client arrived we asked the person in charge what their plan was for dealing with any issues. I went home before the event began, but the plan was to have a hand signal from the moderator if needed.

How did it turn out?

How did it turn out?
I knew it would be fine, but it was on gun control with the city council and mayor.
The crowd was great, the staff for the city were great. They did have a timing light. It was manually operated and you will love the photo. There were three lights, green, yellow, and red. Yes, someone had to sit next to it and flip the switch. Yes it appears to be a toolbox with a board and the lights.

We did have two people approach the mic with it off and try to address the mayor, which was left off until she acknowledged them.

They also used turning point clickers to poll the audience.

Thanks to all that answered, it helps to hear from others before walking into the situation.

80021FC6-E8B6-43D9-87C7-DE61C847F301.jpeg

I knew it would be fine, but it was on gun control with the city council and mayor.
The crowd was great, the staff for the city were great. They did have a timing light. It was manually operated and you will love the photo. There were three lights, green, yellow, and red. Yes, someone had to sit next to it and flip the switch. Yes it appears to be a toolbox with a board and the lights.

We did have two people approach the mic with it off and try to address the mayor, which was left off until she acknowledged them.

They also used turning point clickers to poll the audience.

Thanks to all that answered, it helps to hear from others before walking into the situation.

View attachment 16454
Yeah, but were the hotdogs any good?

Looking for the UL label on that box. I guess they exempt themselves from government regs.

Well I think I’ve seen everything now. Lol nice home made lighty thing.

Ya all know.... there is an App for that.
Search for speech timer or presentation timer.
I think at one debate I made a timed powerpoint to flash a screen green yellow red. The mod had a fellow on stage running the timer.
Actual cut off was a cue from the moderator.
Auto mic mixing can set so the weight of the moderators mic such that the guest mic gets ducked out of the mix. (If you have a digital desk with that feature)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back