Track for new to us curtains

jgels

Looking for recommendations for a project I have. At the school I have a Black Box theater. We just got some curtains from another school that are 16 feet tall and 20 feet wide. I would ideally like to get these hung in a track as a front and mid traveler.

The most secure way would seem to be to hookup something to the 4 i beams about 20 feet up and hang something like 10 feet from each other. I will try to post some pics ASAP. I also have my 4 electrics for light perpendicular to the these i beams at 16 feet up and 10 feet apart. Ideally these curtains would go between these electrics.

Any advice on methods or specific tracks to get would be much appreciated.

Maximizing the ratio of quality to cost is preferred as budgeting is very limited.

Thanks.

8945-track-new-us-curtains-jq8ixw8.jpg

imgur: the simple image sharer

here is a pic that should help

Attachments

• jq8ixW8.jpg
    jq8ixW8.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 462
Last edited by a moderator:
you could look at using unistrut as a track, along with dollys to clip the curtains to:

Here's a link to a brochure: http://store.eberliron.com/files/PDF_Catolog/Unistrut_Trolley_Broc.pdf

This is probably the lowest price per foot you'll find- other companies make curtain tracks specifically for curtains, but those are more expensive. Unistrut is relatively cheap and easy to find. The downside is it wouldn't have an operators rope to open and close it, it would be a walkalong track.

The next question would be: how to hang this? You don't want to hang these yourselves. From the pic, it looks like it wouldn't be too difficult to get a rigger in, attach some beam clamps to the bottom of the ibeams, and then hang the unistrut from that.

I don't know of any traveler track (and probably even strut) that wouldn't need a batten (1.5" BIP) as a backbone to support the track every five feet minimum. Use a beam clamp and hardware to suspend the batten, and the track then hangs off of that.

If you need/desire one-person operation, by the time one adds everything required, buying specialized track (such as ADC Besteel 170) may not be any more expensive than Unistrut/ Kindorf.

Either way, you're going to need a qualified rigger. egilson1 may be near you, or may be able to recommend someone closer.

... Maximizing the ratio of quality to cost is preferred ...
Without ever compromising or sacrifcing safety. Right?

you could look at using unistrut as a track, along with dollys to clip the curtains to:
Here's a link to a brochure: http://store.eberliron.com/files/PDF_Catolog/Unistrut_Trolley_Broc.pdf
Have you ever used such or similar? I'd be concerned about the noise from steel (or Acetal (hard plastic)) wheels on steel strut.

Last edited:
Of course safety is paramount. I am a high school teacher after all. I had figured I would need a rigger, I just wanted to have some idea of what I was looking at before talking to one.

I don't know of any traveler track (and probably even strut) that wouldn't need a batten (1.5" BIP) as a backbone to support the track every five feet minimum. Use a beam clamp and hardware to suspend the batten, and the track then hangs off of that.

If you need/desire one-person operation, by the time one adds everything required, buying specialized track (such as ADC Besteel 170) may not be any more expensive than Unistrut/ Kindorf.

Either way, you're going to need a qualified rigger. egilson1 may be near you, or may be able to recommend someone closer.

Without ever compromising or sacrifcing safety. Right?

Have you ever used such or similar? I'd be concerned about the noise from steel (or Acetal (hard plastic)) wheels on steel strut.

The H&H 400 series will span quite far making it worth considering no back bone. They have detailed engineering data on all of thier products. I don't know if the 400 will span 10' but close. On the other hand, with designed and closer suppoorts you can use a scenery carrier and put some pretty heavy stuff on the same track. I generally only leave off the back bone when overall height or appearance is an issue, like when I put a track under a catwalk over the stage area.

Besides ADC, which I find to be somewhat noisy but dependable, there are other manufaturers of tracks. I like Thern's T70 track (see www.thernstage.com). These are designed to not need a batten to hang off of if your pick points are close enough. Might be more expensive than you are willing to spend, but worth a quote. I have a set of this track and have found it to be much quieter. I also like the fact that I can drop in/out a carrier in the middle if needed without having to undo the entire curtain to that point.

+1 on the ADC 170 track and a batten for attachment. Pretty much industry standard.

Interesting because I never specify 170 - allways the H&H 418PB or ADC 283R (painted black and with back pack guides). I find the H&H quieter - don't know why - and their angled dead end pulley is actually smaller than their standard, which is unlike ADC. I hate it when the dead end pully whacks the adjacent batten. And depending on the load of weight of curtain, you can span up to 10' with the 400 seires.

I don't know of any traveler track (and probably even strut) that wouldn't need a batten (1.5" BIP) as a backbone to support the track every five feet minimum.................

Accually, Lots of track can span much further without a backbone. Generally, a curved aluminum track "should" always have a back bone, but lots of track list freely suspended, straight installation with greater spans. ADC lists 7' as the free span distance on it's 280 track and 6' on the 170. H&H lists up to 10' span with it's 400 series and a load of 6 pounds or less per carrier. Uni-strut (which I would never use as a curtain track but does have some theatrical applications for other uses) lists an accepptable loading of 340 pounds EDL on a 10' span.

Other tracks like the Hall T-70 and the H&H 1010 are built with their own backbone and easily spans 8' - 10' in a freely suspended condition. Triple E track and others are similar.

That said, I prefer installing with a backbone when possible and when cost allows.

That said, I prefer installing with a backbone when possible and when cost allows.

And I posted previoulsy above: I generally only leave off the back bone when overall height or appearance is an issue, like when I put a track under a catwalk over the stage area.

We get nearly to the same place, both prefer a backbone except in some situations, but the exceptions are for different motivations. Just pointing out the contrast of dealer vs consultant as interesting, not that one is better or worse.

Traveller track curtain carriers

We are looking for places that may have used carriers. We are looking for 58, ADC2849 neoprene carriers; and 2, 2850 master carriers. The usual places are very expensive and we're looking for other options. Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.

Re: Traveller track curtain carriers

Above post moved here from another location.

jgels and crec would both be well served by finding a used traveler track, CWANA, nearby and at a reasonable price. I'm not sure that's possible, unless one happens upon a theatre being remodeled or demolished. Once a track is installed, it usually lasts the life of the building. Sources for Used Equipment - ControlBooth is unlikely to have anything. A scene shop (PRG Scenic, Hudson come to mind) might have something built/used for a one-off corporate show or tour they'd be willing to dispose of. Best bet is make friends with Dealers for Supplies and Equipment - ControlBooth as they might know what is being replaced. Network, network, network.

Re: Traveller track curtain carriers

A rental house might have some track or parts they'd be willing to sell, if they're updating their stock. An installer might be able to find you a track that's being replaced, but still has some life left in it. Most theater renovations/remodels include replacing the track, and there's often little wrong with the old track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back