Trade Show Truss, Vertical Load

sww1235

I have been looking at purchasing some F32 ladder truss from Global Truss. I have found their load tables for the horizontal position of the truss, but I cannot find any data on how much weight each truss stick can take when oriented vertically, either from global truss or any other truss manufacturer.

Note: I realize that rigging can be dangerous if not properly engineered. I will not be using this system to support any load until I have my figures checked by a professional engineer.

The load I am planning on supporting is <10 chinese LED pars and a flatscreen TV on 2 of the uprights.

Have you reached out to any of the manufactures or are you just going off what you can find via google search? It seems to me that a phone call to a reputable company (like Global) ought to be able to answer this question for you as well as advise you on if this type of truss is actually suitable for your exact application.

I second the recommendation to call Global, they should be able to give you that information.

Thank you very much for your replys. I shall contact Global directly for that info. I was hoping my googlefu was no strong enough, but looks like they just don't post that info.

You'll find that due to what is called Slender Ratio that the load capacity of a ladder truss as a tower is not going to be that great. Basically think of a straw with a weight at the top of it. Doesn't take all that much force on the side of the straw to collapse it. With a ladder truss you have two straws that when connect have greater strength along the axis between the two straws, but are still weak along the "flat" side. So now when you take 4 straws as in a box truss you stabilize each straw in both axis and have a much stronger assembly.

If I get some time I'll do up a little drawing if that would help.

That particular truss will not work well as a tower. It is very bendy. Even 2 individual pieces of sch40 aluminum would probably be stronger upright. The walls of that ladder truss are very thin. The triangle version would likely be fine as a tv stand, and I think they make the mating floor bases for it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back