Transmission values of Heat Shield

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
Another non-scientific test in my garage.

A Strand-Century 2212, with a 500W EHD lamp, dirty lenses and all, at 14'-0":

No color=75.4 F.C.; with Apollo GelShield™=61.5 F.C.; thus a transmission value of 81.6%.

I don't have any other brands to which to compare this. If anyone has any Rosco Thermashield or Super Heat Shield™, or Lee Filters #269, or GAM HeatShield99, it would be interesting to post your results.

Thanks for the test Derek, we measure 80.4% transmission compared to your measurement of 81.6% light transmission.

An industry veteran has commented that plain clear gel (with NO dichroic IR or UV protection) would have a transmission level of 85%. So this extra protection within the Apollo Gel Shield does not cause the loss of more than 4-5% transmission.

Thanks again for your time and attention to this testing!

You know what, you are fired.
:oops:Why?

Actually, interesting you note that:

From the internship today, a bad thing, and a good thing.

First, the bad thing. I was on guard duty today. I was doing the archival taping of the show, was given a wireless belt-pack, all that fun jazz. During intermission I came down to be stationed on guard duty. Basically, it's a children's show, and it's in a thrust configuration, also it's a huge blackbox, so the deck was 6" off the ground. I was tasked with making sure no-one put two feet on the set, one foot was okay though. I saw my old boss walking by, and quickly said hello, I didn't even realize he'd stepped up, until the Stage Manager and Sound Op rolled up... :oops: They're nice though, the sound op (jokingly) said: "Intern Charlie, we gave you one job, and you messed it up, haha!" :(

Now, the good thing. The production manager asked me what I was doing this summer. She said everyone has been saying I was fantastic, and that she'd love to have me come in over the summer to work with them in-terms of facility maintenance, electrics maintenance, and scenic construction for the first two shows of their season. (She did note that she has yet to talk to the TD and ME though.) I dunno 'bout this one though... I mean I spoke with the shakes in the park organization, who said they'd love to have me come back too, schedule is looking kinda full. :mrgreen: So if I don't get into the Govie school, as of now, it looks like some good options. Hopefully everything will standup 'till summer.

Last edited:
Are light meters usually around 100 bucks? Seems like a nice price.

Last edited:
Are light meters usually around 100 bucks? Seems like a nice price.
Light meters can range from $50-$3000. Mine is not a film/video meter, doesn't calculate F-stops or anything like that. I bought it merely to prove to the vidiots that I knew what I was doing, and to shut them up when they complained about too much or too little light.

A light meter should be low on the list of priorities for anyone except those who deal with cameras and video directors on a regular basis.

And Charc, one more word out of line and I'm not taking you to the Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus Best of Both Worlds show. Or did you already see her on Dec. 17?

Light meters can range from $50-$3000. Mine is not a film/video meter, doesn't calculate F-stops or anything like that. I bought it merely to prove to the vidiots that I knew what I was doing, and to shut them up when they complained about too much or too little light.
A light meter should be low on the list of priorities for anyone except those who deal with cameras and video directors on a regular basis.
And Charc, one more word out of line and I'm not taking you to the Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus Best of Both Worlds show. Or did you already see her on Dec. 17?

Firstly, "out of line"? I don't follow.

Secondly, Hannah Montana? No thanks. A couple girls from my school went to that show. I know from facebook: the ultimate stalking tool. :rolleyes:

Anyways, a light meter could be fun... ya know, uh, proving I have an even wash? Or, uh, creating a light limit with the administration for dances? (Students want them off, administration wants HID overhead lighting. :rolleyes:)

Light meters are the bane of my existence right now. It's not my fault cameras aren't as smart as the human eye. You want a light meter, its call have someone walk the stage and look for dark/bright spots, or do it yourself with the back of your hand. /rant

Last edited:
circa? Let me be the first to jump on you for using the wrong word, I am sure derek will be around shortly.

The word "circa" Latin means about, around, approximately. I don't see why Charc should be introuble for using it in the context he did. I realise it's most common usage today is in dates e.g. circa 1940 but other than extraordinary pretentiousness where's the problem.

I use a cheap lightmeter, not as a reference tool but as a way of doing comparisons with different lights or trying out a focus. I am a fan of the zoom profiles and find a light meter helpful when initially setting up new lights as It finds flats and peaks easily. You need to move it around to make sure you get an average reading as you don't want to be misled by a cheap meter.

Now, the good thing. The production manager asked me what I was doing this summer. She said everyone has been saying I was fantastic, and that she'd love to have me come in over the summer to work with them in-terms of facility maintenance, electrics maintenance, and scenic construction for the first two shows of their season. (She did note that she has yet to talk to the TD and ME though.) I dunno 'bout this one though... I mean I spoke with the shakes in the park organization, who said they'd love to have me come back too, schedule is looking kinda full. :mrgreen: So if I don't get into the Govie school, as of now, it looks like some good options. Hopefully everything will standup 'till summer.

Nicely done Charc... it's all about networking. While it might not look as good to your guidance counselor (or to your parents) you might want to seriously think about ditching the Gov school and going after the other two opportunities. Start a new thread and let's get some other opinions on it.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7954
...this is probably more in the range of high-output flashlights...not s4s...but it is circa 30$.
...and circa 1 cent shipping as well
you will however wait circa 2 weeks waiting for it to come from
circa hongkong

Ha Ha Ha Very good

Charc just as a matter of interest do either Shakespeare in the park or the place you are in at the moment intend to pay you?
Could be a deal setter.

I did what may be my last Shakespeare in the park last summer with about $20K worth of loudspeakers.:grin:

Interesting. At the shakes in the park thing I did, there were a ton of wireless mic problems. I wonder if that was interference, with a couple hospitals close by, and a police precinct, not to mention mass transit, and helicopters overhead? I suggested a snake, and to move the receivers up to the FOH lighting, but no. :rolleyes:

Phil, any thoughts on what some possible problems were? There were some horrible static issues. Would these sorts of interference be a problem, or was it most likely a personnel problem? Throw distance was maybe 15-25 yards, clean open grass, except for the audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back