Transmitter sheaths - G3

BCAP

Looking for opinions:

I am currently using neoprene belt 'pacs' from www.wirelessmicbelts.com to protect my G3/G4 EW transmitter packs. They have been truly excellent so far and I have not had any significant moisture issues. I was wondering how many of you use condoms, plastic bags, saran wrap, etc. to protect transmitters from moisture and are any of you using them inside a similar transmitter "holder" or pouch? I have the occasional sweaty actor but have not really had a major issue as of yet with the neoprene. Perhaps though I'm taking too many chances and should always use some sort of moisture protection regardless of situation.

Thanks for your opinions in advance.

Unless you have a performer swimming, getting rained on, having a Gatorade shower, etc., I don't think there's much to worry about for moisture. The case of the transmitter pack provides reasonable protection against moisture and sweat and that sort of thing such as you're likely to encounter, and the circuitry inside is no more sensitive to it than, say, a cell phone's circuitry. The microphone element itself is rather more sensitive in that regard, and of course also harder to protect well and still have it respond properly.

I have been using the same neoprene holsters for about a decade on the same transmitters. Never have I had any saturation issues. I think they are far easier to deal with. As a bonus, more environmentally friendly than disposable sheaths, which would not go over well in the educational environment I work in.

~Dave

Back in the day, we did use Sheathes ultrasonic probe covers, when the mic bags were made of cotton or cotton blend material which naturally stayed wet once sweat upon.
Once we redesigned the packs to neoprene or spandex, the condoms actually proved more of a problem. The synthetic fabric would dry quickly but the probe covers would trap moisture inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back