Transulcent Material

chawalang

Hi Everyone,

I want to put the feelers out there to get suggestions for a translucent material that I will need for a set. The idea is that there is a tent that is part of this set that will be made out of material that is see through.

My initial though was using something similar to clear shower curtains or husky plastic sheeting. I'm curious if anyone has had any success using these kinds of materials in a similar situation for scenery.

The goal is to have it absorb lighting and to be projected onto.

I was also curious if anyone has had any experience fire proofing this kind of material and if there is a specific fire proofing method that is different than fire proofing soft goods.

Please let me know your thought and thank you for any info.

I would suggest my old stand-by, Tricot it's essentially Lycra without the shine. If you use a lighter weight Tricot it will function very well as a see through and depending on how tightly you stretch it, pretty well as a projection surface. You can also air-brush or cup gun spray it to distress it. If you need to simulate Canvass I'd start with a "bone' or 'Nude' color then distress from there. I do believe that Tricot is an IFR fabric so Flame Retardant treatment is not an issue.

Shower curtains and standard plastic sheeting are usually flammable. Other options are clear or colored PVC (like the ones used in refrigeration units or as warehouse dividers, or the orange portable welding screens). Whatever you find, make sure you get documentation of passing NFPA 701. Garbage bags are a no-no, too.

are you deadset on plastic film? A whole world opens up with rigid materials (acrylic/polycarbonate) More expensive but far more durable than plastic film, and you don't have to worry about ripples/puckering once the heat from the lighting hits it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back