The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Triangle Truss

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by disc2slick, Jun 16, 2006.

1. disc2slick

disc2slick Active Member

Hey,

So quick question: With triangle truss that is being permanently installed (i.e. Bolted into walls, as opposed to suspended from motors or what-have-you) does it matter if the apex is up or down? I'm kind of inclined to think the apex wants to be down to more evenly distribute the weight. Do any wiser heads than mine have any thoughts?

-Dan

2. jonhirsh

jonhirsh Active Member

Toronto, Ontario and Valencia, California
    Well i would say having the triangle upside down would be the better move as you have more useable surface area. But i would wonder if you really could bolt into the walls. Studs are not ment to carry that much weight.

Most installs i have done or seen or worked with. Have always had High steel from the celling or spansets or motors. You dont need motors to hang it you can have it dead hung. but i think you need to support it from the beams in the celing.

JH

3. BillESC

BillESC Well-Known Member Premium Member

The load bearing properties of dimensional truss do not degrade with a change in orientation. I usually prefer apex down which creates a cable tray on the top of the truss.

Depending on the length of the span I would recommend at least one pick point from a ceiling member.

What brand of truss are you considering and what type of loading do you expect?

4. disc2slick

disc2slick Active Member

Hey,

I'm actually referring to an installation that was done prior to my arrival at the space. It's only like a 12' span or so, and won't be loaded with more than a few instruments. I'm pretty sure there is no structural steel I could pick to even if it was necessary. The truss is currently bolted into wooden beams that run parallel to the stage (horizontally across the building). This creates some "interesting" design challenges, since there are no lighting positions running parallel to the plaster line, only US/DS. Fun fun

-Dan

5. drawstuf99

drawstuf99 Active Member

Do you have a picture of it? That sounds really strange...